Is it possible to miscarry two triplets at 11.5 weeks without bleeding or cramping and still carry the third to term?

On wednesday night (actually two thirty thursday morning) I woke up feeling like I was being stabbed in the chest/back. My stomach/lower abdomen felt 100% fine and didn't hurt at all. My mom called an ambulance and I was taken to the hospital. (for a little background, other than dehydration, I've had 0 problems throughout my pregnancy. no cramps at all, and not even spotty bleeding.. nothing concerning at all.) After a series of ultrasounds on my upper abdomen for the pains and my lower because i insisted that they check my babies, they came back and said that I have gall stones and triplets, but that two hearts arent beating, but that the third was really healthy ( even though they were all 100% fine last wednesday when I had an appointment and they were all moving around happy as little sea monkies. They all measured out at 12 weeks two days at the hospital wednesday night and were each about 2-3 inches long and i saw their little feet, but with the stomach ultrasound they only saw one still moving (there are two identicals and one fraternal. the fraternal was dancing around the screen.) the ultrasound doctor judged it based on pictures that a tech took, and discharged me 15 minutes after telling me everything. i went to my OB the next day and not only did they not let me see him, but give me a nurses practitioner, they didnt even want to check because the er already made a report and said that i'm not longer high risk because theres only one baby even though i still have all 3 in here with still no cramping or bleeding (no, not even spotting or weird discharge.). I have another appointment next week and am changing doctors because frankly, the way I was treated was a huge load of crap, but they were all over the place with their answers. Is it possible to have two triplets stop at 11.5 weeks and still go on to have a healthy third? they said that its highly likely that the third would go on to be fine and healthy, but those doctors seemed like they really didnt care.

ElsaH

Asked by ElsaH at 1:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I believe so. I had a twin that stopped developing and I was born healthy.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• With in vitro a lot of times they'll impregnate you with 3 or 4 embryos, some survive, most don't. This is to be expected, and no, you won't expel them.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• This is my first pregnancy, I'm twenty, and they were natural. Not IVF.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I used that as an example to show you that this is common. Haven't you ever heard of one twin "absorbing" the other?
    I understand you are upset, but you need to calm down.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I'm just not sure if it can reabsorb two. I've heard of vanishing twins, but I'm terrified because there were three. I've never known anybody with triplets, let alone anybody two lost two that far along (I know that they usually go early.) And still have a third totally healthy. I'm just afraid for my baby. I've been trying to stay calm because I know that he/she can feel everything that I can. I still cry a lot, but I'm trying to keep myself from going overboard. It's terrible to try and mourn my lost and be happy and strong for my baby. I'm just confused and depressed, but I'm still super happy that I have my baby. It's honestly a 100% undescribable feeling. I was measuring in my second trimester. I thought they were safe.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully everything will be fine for your surviving baby. Keep your mind on that prize, and it will carry you through the rest of the hard stuff. And I'm glad you are changing doctors.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I hope you get this sorted out on paper and in your head. I don't have advice but offer sympathy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Thank you.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• It's totally possible. The remaining baby will now get total access to food and everything else it needs to grow. ((Hugs))
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• It's actually really common. I'm so sorry for what you've been through, it makes for a very stressful first pregnancy.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2013