if i ground him to stay home but i cant physically keep him from leaving the house and so he goes out anyway, what do i do?

He is smart, handsome, and only has me (his Mom) as a parent almost his whole life.

artisticallyinc

Asked by artisticallyinc at 1:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• How old is he? How is he getting to where he is going? If he is driving himself, take the car keys away.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Then once he's out you lock the doors. He's under 18 and I assume your town has a curfew? Call the police and report him.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• And if he is grounded, who is he going to see? How did he contact them? I'd make sure the phone and internet are gone, too!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• If grounding doesn't work. Their are other ways to discipline him.  Take cell phone, computer/internet, car/driving privlages,  host of other things I cnan not think of right now.

Answer by louise2 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• He is 13 and walks, skates and bikes. I can take the skate and the bike but he still walks out
    artisticallyinc

Comment by artisticallyinc (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• If I told my child to stay home and they left anyways, our local PD would get a call about an unruly child.
    They would have no issue bringing him home.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• You call the cops when he walks.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I agree; the police will bring home an unruly child. Once he gets there, he's down to basics. You have to feed your kid nourishing meals, but you don't have to buy ice cream,pizza, hot dogs, etc. You have to give your kid a place to sleep, but you don't have to fill his room with electronics, skateboards, whatever else he likes. Basically, and I got this from CPS at the time we were having some trouble with my stepson around that age, beyond food and a bed, it's all extras. He has to earn those, and defying you isn't the way to do it. Let him know you love him and want him to be safe and to grow up knowing right from wrong, so till he can cooperate with you to that end, he's basically in boot camp.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Take his shoes? Or maybe sit down and have a long talk. Hang out with him at home. Do something he likes, let him know you love him. If he leaves have the police bring him home.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• What is he grounded for?

I agree with the others. I would start with taking his cell phone, computer, any of the other communication devices he might have that are important to him.

I would also consider cutting off any spending money he doesn't earn on his own. If you're still having trouble, and can't afford counseling, I'd go talk to the school counselor and see what kind of help they recommend.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2013