Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our LF Autistic teenager has to have his own para, how can we get this done?

He is going to an autism class in a public high school and they do not have the staff nor resources to meet our son's needs. The school itself is non compliant in getting another staff for our son. His teacher actually said to me that one para is not enough to handle Chris all day. How can we make this teacher convince whomever he needs to convince that this class and school is not the right placement for him and the district needs to either find the right placement or pay for the right placement?

Answer Question

Asked by denwhi7 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Special Needs

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • No clue. Maybe look to see if there is a school that has the resources you need.

    Answer by Dardenella at 4:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • Call an IEP meeting and request a one on one aide for your son. Request someone from the county be there, if need be. Ask his teacher, she should know how to get this done. Where do you live?

    Answer by missanc at 5:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • non compliant in getting another staff for our son.... as in not following his IEP?
    if so, call another IEP, and have some agency support when you go in
    in my state it is WI facets

    call local autism society to get help with school compliance

    Answer by fiatpax at 7:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • You may need to find an attorney who specializes in compliance. My parents did that over 35 years ago, and the district changed its tune in a big hurry.

    Answer by Ballad at 11:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • Get the state board of education involved. Here it is the Texas Education Agency. Your department of health and human services should be able to help you get in contact with the right person.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

  • you need to request an Iep meeting, talk with your school boards Ese/autism team(if they have one) also get an advocate for your son,he should be allowed to sit in on the meeting too. Demand the services your son needs! But be prepared for them to want to switch his schools if they have a school that is better suited for his learning needs.

    Answer by michaux at 1:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.