Mindcraft

My stepson just got this game, and he's been obsessed with it. I'm not getting it. He's been building this enormous fortress, and a little house for me and his sister--gardens, pools, fountains, even cookies and cakes. But what's the point of this? I mean, is there something that's supposed to happen? He's stocking the fridge now. I guess I'm just not seeing what's intended to be accomplished.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Entertainment

• My DS loves it as well. Minecraft is a game with absolutely NO point besides building whatever you want to build. It is a great game for building imagination and figuring out what works and what doesn't. It doesn't take a lot of skill to play, but it does require a good imagination, some ingenuity and some basic problem solving skills. The kids don't know that though, they just think it is cool to build stuff and blow shit up!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• My son LOVES it! Of course you don't get it... it's all graphics.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• The highest grossing game on the planet, used in classrooms all over the world. It teaches spatial awareness, physics, geology, and if it's modded, chemistry, engineering and computer logic. Sandbox games have been around as long as there have been dollhouses. What do people not get?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• All I could do was run around and beat up on some sheep.

For some reason I find this incredibly funny!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I've tried Minecraft. I don't get it at all. All I could do was run around and beat up on some sheep.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Sounds like a waste of time.. like a glorified Farmville.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• *I* love minecraft. It is an open ended game that focuses on exploration, creating and of course destroying. ::grin:: Beyond that there is so much you can do with it if you know how to do it or where to find an online server that has already done it for you... For instance, I like to go online and play 'hunger games' against 17-19 other players. I never win though! When I play it myself I like to use game modifiers to make it easier to build and not die. When I play together with DH (yes he plays to) We use game modifiers to make it more challenging. It' just fun...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• DS loves minecraft and actually created a little business of building houses for other people for the money you earn on there. I guess you earn money for the amount of time you are on there and you can use it to buy stuff (guessing building supplies and such). He has some floor plans for people to choose from and then they can either have him customize it, or he will build the shell and they can customize it how they want.

The way I see it, it's sort of like Legos, but without the risk of piercing your foot with one of those deadly triangular shaped ones that gets left on the floor.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• My dd loves Minecraft! She plays with her friend and likes to play practical jokes on her. One time she put a crapload of chickens and a huge ugly painting in her friend's room.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• my 5 year old loves it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2013