Soccer snack ideas

Ok, I'm "that" mom who pushes for healthy after game snack each season. They've never listened to me, go figure. Today's snack was Capri suns, M&Ms and cookies.

Anyways, dd is on a Co Ed team this year. All boys except her. It's my turn for snacks next week. I'm thinking of flavored water, Greek yogurt cup and a piece of fruit like apples or plums, and maybe carrot sticks.

Do you think these boys will plot my death? Lol. What would or do you send for snacks. My SO swears boys don't eat yogurt and if I go the healthy route they might pick on dd.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I think you *could* meet in the middle with flavored water and vanilla Greek yogurt with mini m&m's to mix in it. Or another meet in the middle idea could be juice boxes or milk jugs and chocolate chip Oatmeal muffins.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Instead of Greek yogurt, I would do the frozen Greek yogurt. The flavored water would be good. I would also do grapes instead of apples or plums. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Frozen anything won't work. Even in the ice chest after an hour game and hour drive there it would melt.

Hmmm, I could meet in the middle. DD has a sugar sensitivity so we try to stear away from anything with more than 9 grams of sugar. I would, of course, get flavored yogurt.

I have zero experience with boys, so I appreciate the ideas. Last year the coach would roll her eyes when I pulled out the snacks and say," we can always count on Mrs. Panda to bring us healthy snacks." DD has a new coach and all new team mates this year so I'm not sure how to proceed.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• The thought of anything dairy after a game makes my stomach turn... it might make them puke too. Sorry!

I can see not serving candy, but what is wrong with a few cookies after the game. They've earned it at that point. Why not a healthier cookie like oatmeal, some fruit and plain (no sugar/chemicals added) water?? Or something like trail mix, fruit and water. It's all about moderation.... a treat after the game isn't so bad. I coach an all girls team and a co-ed team... I can't see the kids eating anything with a spoon after a game... especially boys!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Excellent point,Crafty. No go on the dairy then.

I just think they don't need sugary processed crap after an hour long game in 108 heat.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Agreed... stay away from anything prepackaged!!! There are tons of low sugar "sweets" you can make... you will know they are getting the right stuff, but they will think it's a treat.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I made some banana oatmeal cookies the other day. They were great. The kids think they are getting a treat but it's good for them too. (I add cinnamon and nutmeg to them) tasted a lot like banana bread. Or maybe caramel apples (seems kinda like a compromise), on Pinterest I seen a caramel apple that had been halved, cored and then the caramel poured inside. I thought that was genius.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Today, the girls had string cheese and watermelon wedges.. so far it has been that, and oranges with watermelon, box of raisins, tortilla chips.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• They had donuts and grapes today at the soccer game for snacks. Why not just fruit and water. Or at least juice. Or even freezing those yogurt and then by the time it is snack time they are melted. I understand you want to bring healthy but one not a little bit of both. Oh granola bars might work too. I have to the snacks in a few weeks and I am wondering about what to bring. But have some idea after today.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• How's bout those v8 juice boxes string cheese and granola bars dd is right about the boys lol!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2013