• In the Spotlight:

How much would u charge?

Babysitting over night... I'm sitting a little boy (2 yrs old). His parents went out for a night of fun and were supposed to pick him up late like 11pm-12am. He was dropped off to me at 630pm and was up for about two hours.she texted me not long ago saying she's super super sorry but drank too mic and doesn't want to risk driving all the way here let alone with her son and asked of I could keep him over night and she's willing to pay extra ..

Originally I'm charging 5$ an hour. She said she will be here at like 730am (around when he wakes up) So that 13 hours.. Do I just charge the 5$ ? (65$ total )

nnh_mama

Asked by nnh_mama at 12:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• If it were a friend I would say $65 was fine. Since it is some stranger who decided to leave her kid with you and didn't even know you, I would charge at least $150, with $50 being a stupidity fee.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• if you were charging 5 dollars and hour- then I think you need to stick with that- unless you two discussed her paying more due to the overnight/ last min. thing.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I would probably not charge 65. That's a lot... I wonder who drove if she got drunk and why they couldn't pick kiddo up? Hope he sleeps through the night for you. Better with you than drunk mommy. (Not knocking drunk mommy, sounds like she needs more time out)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• You babysit too cheap. Here the rate is closer to $15. and hour and they charge and "unexpected fee" I can't remember what they call it. It is when you say when you are going to pick up and you don't by more than 30 minutes. Frankly I would charge at least $100.00 and Probably more
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I agree with charlot, unless you discussed more for overnight when she called you it would be unfair to spring it on her last minute. But for future, the least I have ever paid for an overnight was $75 and that was almost 10 years ago.

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• No. Probably not. Poor kid.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• No probably not charge the 5$ or probably not charge more? And I agree on the poor kid. She did say this was the first time ever leaving him and when it was time to leave him she had a hard time actually going. She kept saying maybe I won't go out... I will just tell my husband never mind and I will just stay home with him... After se left the baby was much better and happy. Watched toy story with my kids and ate dinner. And played a little before getting ready for bed, we read a story and he cried for a few
    Minutes when he was falling asleep and I just patted his back and he fell asleep. He's been asleep ever since.. And she's texted me like 15 times apologizing. I'd like to give her the benefit of doubt and say she doesn't get out very often.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I mean I've sat for many many kids over the years and some moms literally dropped their kids off and don't even think to ask my name or want to see my house or anything! Just willing to walk in hand over the kid and leave him/her with a perfect stranger. And I'm not
    Going to lie this mo worries me too a little as well because this is the first time I've had her son. She doesn't really know me. I mean clearly I know he is in great hands and is safe and well taken care of but still. Idl I feel like I'd do a test run and start off small and work my way to an overnight. But then I also see the flip side of being a mom and a light weight and accidentally having one drink too many. I live in a highly police monitored area so even if she isn't drunk it's best she not even try to come here with booze on her breath.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• In nj the people I know charge 10 $ an hour or more for random babysits. One lady who sits from her home charges 40 a day as her set rate for Her "regulars". Which is like 9-5
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I assumed she was your friend. A stranger is a different story. I would take a cab or phone a friend to get my kid from a babysitter I did not know. Yikes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2013