EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY???

i recently went to the health department later on to find out that i'm suffering from mild dysplasia?! i recently talked to my mother about this, it's genetic. yay! but after all those years of having paps done, and they always came back NORMAL? oddly enough that this test result came out POSITIVE for abnormal cells in my cervix. i have to go and do a what is called, Colposcopy? i don't know much about this! it's all brand new to me. and it kinda scares me to know, you know, will i ever be able to have kids? will i be permanetly messed up?! it's kinda hard talking to my loved ones about it. because they don't understand how confusing and hair raising it can be! wishing that i had more support of this thing that's going on with my body.so i'd appeciate it if anyone out there could give me some actual valuable information, i'd greatly appeciate it!!!

BananaKisses

Asked by BananaKisses at 1:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2013 in Health

• A colposcopy is similar to a colonoscopy. Except the Dr uses a scope to check the inside of your cervix for any abnormal growths. This is an easier way to check, with the naked eye, than a pap test.
    If polyps or abnormal cells are found, the Dr will remove them and perform a biopsy to see what type of cells you have.
    Best thing to do is write down any questions you may have so the Dr can address you with the proper answers.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• true, but i have many concerns! i mean how bad would it actually hurt to get this procedure down? kinda scary. im only 22 i turn 23 in november. i'm so young, i mean why me.
    BananaKisses

Comment by BananaKisses (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• You most likely have HPV. Could have had it forever, or got it from your last sexual partner. Hard to tell.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• ive already been checked for all of those types of things. i dont have hpv
    BananaKisses

Comment by BananaKisses (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Oh, well then you know everything. Good for you.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• They'll put you to sleep. You won't feel a thing.
    A friend of mine had this done and she was pregnant.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I agree with KT. Write down all your questions and concerns.
    The test is to determine if there is a problem. A colonoscopy is not that bad but I have no idea about what you are talking about. Sinceit is new , that does not surprise me. I would imagine it would not be as bad since with the one I mention you have to flush out your colon to have it done. That part is not so pleasant, but not horrible either.
    I doubt the test would change whether you were able to have children but of course the results and treatment might. There is no way to know until you ask your doctor and have the tests.
    I know it is scary, but it really is better to know early on.
    Good luck.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

Not sure what doctor you go to, never heard of one putting a patient to sleep for a Colposcopy. They look at your cervix and if they find anything abnormal they do a biopsy. It is uncomfortable (what pap isn't?), but not that painful. Take an ibuprofen before you go. Your doc should have given you a data sheet about it with all the info on what it was, what to expect and what you needed to do to prepare. If he didn't call the office. It isn't a big deal, most of the time nothing is found. Wait to freak out until after you find out the results.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• My friend was put to sleep but she was very anxious. So ask your Dr if this is something you can do.
    The procedure is done in the office and as kmath said, 30 mins before the procedure take an ibuprofen.
    Also, you'll want to refrain from sex 24 hours before it's done.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 2:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Wow, I can't believe a doc would risk anesthesia for that simple of a procedure. Must be major anxiety!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2013