Is this safe or not ?

Having your child locks on your car doors ...My kids are now 5 and 8 ( 3 months) and know not to touch the door handles, I had the locks on because my middle daughter use to mess with the handles when she was younger. So I was just thinking the other day I have my child locks on my car doors, is it really safe? Yes it is because they cant accidently open the car door while I'm driving , but then I thought no its not safe what if something happened and they had to get out of the car? they wouldn't be able to because they only open from the outside.. What do you think?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 2:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• I keep mine on, it is habit from when he was little. Never worried about something happening because I am in the car and can unlock it with one click if something were to happen.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:40 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I've often thought the same thing.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 2:40 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Kmath I don't mean the locks inside the car I mean the child safety locks inside the door. My point being what if u were unable to open the door to your car to let your child out, because the only way you can open it is from the outside (the door must be open to switch the lock on and off)
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 2:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I'm pretty sure they'd figure out that they could get out of the passenger door or the driver door ... They aren't trapped inside a locked box, only 50% of the doors are locked.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Sorry, but I can't think of a scenario where you couldn't get out of the car and then get your kids out. Maybe I am just not paranoid enough.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

How about an idiot driver runs you off the road and you lose control of your car, wind up in a ditch, and you are injured and unconscious? I have seen several news stories where something like this has happened. I can see what the OP is talking about. It's not about being paranoid, but rather weighing the risks of what could happen and the fact that older children may not need the safetly locks. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I stopped using them when my kids were around 5 and old enough not to open the door while I was driving. Even when it's not a safety issue, it's nice that they can open their own car door instead of me having to walk around the car and let them out.

Answer by missanc at 10:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I think when you can trust that they won't open the door when they aren't supposed to its a good idea to disengage the child safety locks.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• How about an idiot driver runs you off the road and you lose control of your car, wind up in a ditch, and you are injured and unconscious?

Then the rescuers just break the window. That's the last thing you're going to be worried about. You need the doors to stay closed. 1. so you are not ejected from the car 2. so if you slide into a tree or telephone pole the door takes the hit instead of your spleen or something 3. To keep the roof of the car from collapsing and body frame from twisting. A lot of cars now days automatically unlock if the air bag goes off. Lock the doors please.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2013