Would you consider donating your eggs?

I am considering donating my eggs for money. I get get around $4,000. (And of course, I would like to give someone else the gift of life.) My concern is that no one will want my eggs because I am black. Stereotypically, I do not see a lot of black couples seeking fertility help. I feel like this is something that more white people would do. And I just don't see someone wanting a black (or biracial baby.) Maybe a gay couple, perhaps? What's your opinion? Have you done this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2013 in Health

• I would not donate mine, personally. I would see the baby as mine and I couldn't handle that. Just a personal thing. If I were to ever adopt a child, I would want a black or bi-racial baby. I think they are beautiful.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I would be doing an anonymous donation, so I would not know who's getting my egg & they couldn't know me. I wish everyone thought the way you did, josie.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• It was twenty-some years ago, but I did a research paper in college about how women of different races approached infertility. I'm no expert, by any means, but what I read was that women of color tended not to talk about their fertility problems. The stigma of infertility hadn't been broken down as much as it had been among white women. So there are places that work with black and Hispanic women as far as egg donation, but you have to look for them a bit. I think it's admirable that you want to do this, especially because there are African-American women and couples who would want to find an egg donated by someone of the same race. Not that I think there's anything wrong with biracial babies, either, just for the record.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I am to old now. But if I could have done it when I was younger. I would have done it for the money.

Answer by louise2 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I don't think anyone would want what few eggs I have left! lol :p I thought about it when I was younger, but given our family history with cancer, I didn't think anyone would want them. As for the race issue, I think anyone who REALLY wants a baby, would be thrilled to get a healthy baby, regardless of skin color.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• You would just have to look into it. To see if you are a candidate for it.  Some people would not care about race. they just want a baby.

Answer by louise2 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I wanted to at one point but I didn't meet the criteria they were looking for.

Good luck.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Contact a fertility clinic and see! If that is what you want to do, go for it!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I seriously considered it when I was younger. I pretty much fit the criteria people most commonly are looking for, but when it came down to it I just couldn't see explaining to my kids how I was giving away their 1/2 sibling not knowing if the family would truly care for the child. (Yes I know that people that use infertility treatments want a baby badly, but I've also seen people that used in vitro and are horrible parents!)

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• No, I couldn't do it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2013