Kids safe email

is there such a thing? no porn, spam, etc?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Does a child really need email? If it's that important, can't you have them send it directly to you so that you can filter what he or she receives?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• How old is the child?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Relatives that wish to send my oldest DD, (almost 7), email send it to my address & state in the title that it's for her.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• kiddo is 9 next month. his grandma who he is VERY close with is being sent to a long term care nursing facility far enough away that we wont see her more than once a month :( she has her ipad there and wants to take videos for him, daily pics of her gross meals, funny stories, etc so email seems appropriate. she basically has co-raised him as I've had many long hospital stays, a knee replacement, and numerous other things that have kept me either laid up or in the hospital. now she's weak after a heart attack and they miss each other. he wants "imissgrandmaspancakes@gmail.com" but I haven't looked if its available yet
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Do you have an iphone? You could face time! Or Skype.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 4:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• What about a special folder in your mailbox, so that anything with your kid's name on it is automatically filtered to that folder
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• My DD is 9 and has her own g-mail... I monitor it and there doesn't seem to be any issues with spam, etc.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I'm of the opinion that an email account is the perfect "starter" opportunity for kids and online responsibility.

His email should be used for nothing other than correspondence between the people you choose. If he doesn't use it to gain access to anything else, his spam should be virtually non-existent. I have a gmail account that I use only for World of Warcraft. I've had it for years and never gotten any junk mail in it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• My kids each received their own email from their school while in elementary grades. It's been free from spam so far.

I don 't think therer is any fully safe email, but the lesser known companies aren't targeted by spammers as much. I used to use a company called zcloud for my email and internet service, with them I almost never received any spam no matter where I went on the internet.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2013