What do you do when the power is out?

We had a powerline down at 3am today. I got through the night with the kids not noticing and during the day we told stories and talked.

What do you do? Any fond memories?

If you take nothing else from this question, please have a bag of candles, flashlights and matches ready in the house. Just incase!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2013 in Entertainment

• If it is winter time and it happens, we will leave and go to my brother's house. My son and I cannot be cold for too long. Any other time we always find fun things to do inside or outside.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Read, play board games, or just play.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• 2 years ago the power went out in the entire city and about 80 miles to the north and 200 miles to the east (we have no west or south). Im talking like 5 million people without power. Anyway, it was very much like an apocalypse. EVEVERYTHING was shut down. There was nowhere to go. Cars were stranded along the roads, freeway traffic was at a complete standstill, ambulances were racing around, everyone was outside confused. We ate goldfish crackers and roasted hotdogs over candles and wondered how we were gonna make it through the night. Power was only out for 5 hours. Lol. Can't imagine any of us in a serious emergency.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• The last time we lost power, we got out the ice cream & the lantern & played board games.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• To tell the truth, I secretly loved it when I was a kid and the power would go out. While everybody else scrambled around to find flashlights, I had a unique and usually undervalued skill set. I knew where everything was. I could find it in the dark. For a short time, once in a while, I was valuable if not nearly indispensable.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• We hook up our generator.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Sex.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• We light candles and play board games with the boys...if they're here.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• With Partygal. Might as wee have sex.

We have kerosene lamp.  And a generator.

Answer by louise2 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• Cry. Imagine no power for over a week, 2 little kids you have to feed 3 meals a day so you heat soup under the hot water under the faucet & no heat in November when it's less than 40 degrees outside, no cell phone service or gasoline to be had :( I just cried.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2013