How likely is it that stress will cause preterm labor?

I'm 28 weeks and I'm super stressed out. We have so much going on here lately and I just feel so overwhelmed and no matter how much I try to calm myself down, I just can't.

My fiance is filing bankruptcy, I'm trying to buy us a house, due date is sneaking up on us and my four year old is starting to act out (due to all the changes and tension). I also HATE my job and have to ride it out until the end of the pregnancy.

I literally feel like I'm going to explode at any moment and it's getting almost unbearable. There are times that all I can do is cry.

Well lately I've been cramping a lot and having lower back pain...I'm also constantly nauseated and just don't feel like eating or doing anything for that matter.

I'm scared I'm going to go into preterm labor...I've heard of stress pushing people into preterm labor and just the thought is stressing me out even more.

How likely is it that this will hurt the baby? What can I do to calm myself down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2013 in Pregnancy

• No one can say how likely it is for stress to cause you to go into labor. A lot of people have a significant amounts of stress in their lives and manage to go through their pregnancies without complications, for others it increases their blood pressure or causes other problems. I'm not sure why you want to be marrying someon with such serious financial problems, but you are already pregnant, so that's probably an issue you'll just need to deal with.This may not be the best time to try to buy a house if it's causing you stress.

Try to get some help from friends and family with things like housework, and maybe with your 4 year old, maybe it would be a good time to see a counselor, most of the stresses you're talking about (other than the bankruptcy) are normal stresses that you need to be able to handle for your children and for your health.

Good luck mama.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I went into early labor from stress. Calm down chick.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• I'm wondering if maybe seeing a counselor or at least trying some relaxation techniques might be a good idea for you. Even if you don't go into preterm labor, this much stress isn't going to help you cope with a newborn or handle the weary times that are awaiting you after delivery.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2013

• It's pretty likely. You need to find a way to relax a little. Find yourself a good outlet for the stress. Maybe a prenatal yoga class or something.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2013