Induced..

Have a quick questions I'm 39 wks pregnant I'll be 40 on Wednesday but my doctor told me if she does not come by 40 wks that he wants to induce my labor my baby is heathy he says its better what do y'all think

aimem

Asked by aimem at 12:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I think you don't need to be induced at 40 wks unless there is a medical reason for it. Just because you hit 40 weeks doesn't mean baby is ready. Give it some time and try to let baby come when they are ready. That is much better for you and them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Ask your doctor specifically why the induction is necessary, if it is. If you don't get a legitimate and at least somewhat pressing medical issue for an answer, refuse the procedure. My doctor actually wanted to induce me four or five days before my due date because she was going on vacation and she didn't want to miss the big event. Needless to say, this mama vetoed that idea right away.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I did two inductions. They went like clockwork. I went in the night before to have cervidil inserted then pitocin started at 7am both babies were born well before 12 noon. If you have a good OBGYN then you shouldn't have a problem. Just relax & do what they tell you (Nurses). That's my experience but everyone is different. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I think he needs to offer up a valid reason for wanting to do so. Being term isn't one of them. Since due dates can be off by two weeks either way I would hold off until after 42 weeks. Inductions can go like clockwork, such as in I Lovemy Paulie's case, or they can fail miserably and put you in for emergency C-section, as in my cousin's case. I was scheduled to get an induction for complications I was having, but after I got the enema I didn't need it. It is of course your choice it just seems like the doctor wants to line his wallet with Pitocin you may not even need. Everything they do will add to your bill. Keep that in mind. If your baby is healthy then there is no harm in waiting a bit longer for baby to come on their own. I wouldn't induce just because. Inductions carry risks and you need to know exactly what they are before you decide to go ahead.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Every thing is going good with you and the baby? No reason to do that. Tell your doctor you will wait.

Answer by louise2 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• That the average pregnancy is 38-42 weeks and as long as both mom and baby are healthy there is no need to induce before 42 weeks. Their ESTIMATED due date can be off by 2 weeks any way so you could really only be 38 weeks when they think you are 40.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2013