Of course we expect racists to be idiots, but really?

If you've watched the news at all today, you've probably seen the reports of ignorant racists across the country complaining that a non-white/black/hispanic woman won Miss America last night.  The winner, from New York, is of Indian descent.  She is not "Arab" or "Middle Eastern" or "terrorist"  (wtf is "terrorist descent" anyway?).  Some of the less enlightented tweets from the aftermath:

http://www.ibtimes.com/nina-davuluri-nationality-why-arab-woman-didnt-win-miss-america-2014-photo-1406266

She is the first Asian Miss America, just as Vanessa Williams was the first black Miss America.

Two questions - would it matter if she was descended from Kuwaiti or Qatari grandparents instead of Indian?  Is this a failing of education or simply another sign of piss poor parenting that so many hateful people don't know the difference between Asia and the Middle East?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I knew that was going to happen as soon as they called her name!
    I thought to myself, this beautiful, American, Miss New York is going to start off rough!

People are assholes! She's beautiful, talented, fun and she's American!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• People are so ignorant. My best male friend experienced all kinds of weird looks after 9/11. He's of Indian (India) descent & is a US citizen (born in America). He actually bought a joke t-shirt that said "I'm not Middle Eastern" on it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• sign of piss poor parenting that so many hateful people don't know the difference between Asia and the Middle East?
    Racists don't care Where on the map the Others are from.
    All they know is that they are not from the glorified, perfect, place their (the racists) ancestors are from.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• The funny part, even that map knows India isn't in the Middle East...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Don't you know that all brown skinned people are middle eastern terrorists?!
    What kind of "Murican are you?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• That really gets my blood boiling. She's as American as any of the assholes who are bad-mouthing her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• There really is no hope for our country. Once the idiots got a hold of social networking, they got a voice and ignorance has reigned.

Reminds me of all the horrible comments that little Mexican-American boy got when he sang the national anthem. Forget that most people commenting probably sing it like Leslie Nielson in The Naked Gun.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Everyday is open for education.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

•  I have no words. No and yes to the two questions.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• racism always surprises me...is it really so freaking hard to realize that skin color is just that and has no bearing on a person's humanity? are they really that stupid?!

and im never surprised by Americans' inability to know their geography. i mean, if parents teach their kids that America is all that matters, whats the point it learning where other countries are? the only reason to know geography is so we can blow them up right? idiots...

also, i find it hilarious that all of a sudden Miss America matters again...cause she's not white. if a blonde girl had been crowned we probably wouldnt even know which state won haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2013