Help! What I initially charged to babysit is not enough. How can I ask for more money?

I watch a 10 month of baby girl and am a stay at home mom for my 5 month old baby girl. So I have two kids to watch. I watch the 10 month old for 10 hours a day and only initially charged my cousin $25 a day to watch her. I am beginning to realize that I should be making way more then that. I researched it and the average is about $10 and hour. I am making $2.50 an hour. It has become very difficult too because the 10 month old is teething very bad and crawling everywhere. It is a lot of work to watch her. Sometimes I get stressed out. I really don't even enjoy babysitting other people's children but really need the money. Now I keep thinking in the back of my head that it isn't worth the money I am getting. I need some advice please :/

Ollie0607

Asked by Ollie0607 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Money & Work

• It has become very difficult
    It is a lot of work to watch her.
    Sometimes I get stressed out.
    I really don't even enjoy babysitting

More money will not make any of these things better.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• It would be best for your cousin to find someone else asap.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I don't know that you CAN ask for more without causing really hard feelings. But if you tell her you cannot care for hers, and then pick up another child to care for, then you've got another potential problem.

I think you're stuck. Unless this is a cousin you don't mind pissing off.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:34 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• When you are keeping a child all day, every week you don't typically get paid an hourly wage - it's a daily or weekly amount. Since you are getting to stay at your house with your baby and still make some money, $25 isn't bad. Try to focus on the positives of what you aren't doing, but if you're unhappy then it isn't doing your child any favors for you to stay home.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I don't know, I think that since she's family, $25 is a good price. I would just tell her to find another sitter because it's more overwhelming than you thought it would be. Asking for more money is a bad idea.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 9:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• 10 an hour is generally for a nanny who isnt outrageous. They do more than watch the kids, they straighten up, cook etc.
    If you are charging 25.00 a day for a baby which is the going rate pretty much everywhere and are not certified, you are lucky. Your issues scare me a bit, perhaps you are not meant to be a childcare provider.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• You do realize your 5 month old will be doing these same things eventually, and you won't be paid for watching her, right?

I think your cousin needs to find someone else to care for her baby. As a private sitter, $125 a week (which is your $25/day for a 5 day week) is actually a bit high if you were in my area. When I had a private sitter for my 2 sons, she only charged $100/week for the both of them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• You need to have an honest, calm, discussion with the mom. And you need to think again about doing this. It isn't fair to the child, or any of you, if you are not enjoying the baby. Babies deserve and need a lot of attention as they explore their world.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• first- she is family so generally you would charge less. Also when it's an ALL day thing, rates don't work out to be that high- 10 bucks an hour is more like for shorter times

you have her baby 10 hours a day? 25 a day is cheap for that much time though. what about 200 a week?
    I mean there is NO way anyone is going to pay 500 a week...family or not!

*also, if it is stressing you out and you don't like it, maybe you should let her know that it isn't working out for you.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• You need to find another way to make money if it is stressing you out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2013