The Washington Navy Yard shooting was on facebook 2 hrs before the networks bothered to report it

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57603061/officials-shooter-in-washington-navy-yard/

I've had NBC on for the local weather, been following the shooting story online.  This is the first time all day NBC has interrupted programming (10:30AM).

Of course, we know nothing we hear on the news about the victims or the shooter will be accurate for at least 2 days.  

Do you bother with TV news at all anymore?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:34 AM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not really, not even for weather. I follow our local weatherman on FB and he has a weather blog, so there's no need to wait and try to catch the weather in the mornings.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Nope, they never get anything right anyway, so I give it a couple days and then look up info online, it is usually a little more accurate by that point.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Nope.I got rid of cable over the summer and kind of enjoy that extra $95. I think I stopped watching after Sandy Hook. I didn't even turn on the news during the events in Boston.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Not really. Half of what gets said on Network News is misreported anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Keep in mind that much of what goes on Facebook is rumor and hearsay, which cannot be reported. Remember the misinformation that came up during the Newtown shooting?

I remember that I saw information about the Fort Hood story HERE on CM before any national media was reporting it. But I also know that anything happening on a military base takes a LONG time to report. There was a local station outside Fort Hood but they weren't really saying anything but, "We know something has happened but we have no idea what." It was all over CM a good hour before AP picked it up. I actually called NPR's national desk myself to let them know something was happening.

The first bulletin on the shipyard came across the Associated Press at 5:49 Pacific time.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I don't watch the news on TV, but I did get the alert on my phone earlier.

They are saying now that 10 people have been shot. So very sad.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• i get all my information from the internet. its not always perfect but it sure beats the crap outta the talking heads on TV...its almost as if they like being wrong. plus, when i read words i get to decide what is important, not some moron who emphasizes words he/she thinks are important, but most of the time are just misleading sections taken outta context.

i only watch TV news when something is happening live and half the time i mute it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I haven't watched television new (local or national) in years. Part of that is because I'm always digging into more than the surface sound bite and there are some sites that help me do that. Another reason is exactly what you mentioned. I shouldn't have to hear about a mass shooting in the Navy Yard on Buzzfeed ffs.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Being at work, I heard all this on the radio. Coverage started 9:15 - 9:30 ish. The station I was listening to cut their regular programming to bring in FNC. So, I would have to say that some networks were covering it well before 2 hours.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• No, I don't bother with TV news anymore. What I find really troubling is that the government is planning to pass legislation where they can determine if someone qualifies as a journalist. I'm going to have to guess that a lot of the TV 'news' reporters aren't really journalists as much as they are certified scandalmongers.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2013