Medicaid question :/ can they include his income even if he's not her father and we are not married?

My caseworker is trying to say that she's going to start including my fiance's income for my DD1's case once DD2 comes even though my fiance is not the father of DD1.

She said that once DD2 is born they will include his income in my household even though we are not applying for any aid for DD2 (his daughter). We just need medicaid for DD1 for a few months after the birth of DD2 because then we will be able to get married and he can put them BOTH on his insurance...but until we are married he can't put DD1 on his insurance.

Can they really take DD1's medicaid? So stressed...I don't know what we will do for the few months after DD2 is born. I can't get private insurance due to a pre existing condition (I'm still on my dad's) and I can't add DD1 to his. We can't get married early either because of something completely unrelated. It's a huge mess :(((

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Relationships

• You may not lose the Medicaid if his income is not over the limit.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• yes they can include all income sources for this
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• They will include all household income. Not being married, not being her biological father, is irrelevant. You live together.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• if youre getting married anyways, and DD2 who is going to be on the insurance (which many insurances do not allow unless there is a relation) why not just do it now?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Yes. What they're doing is calculating based on the size of your household (two adults, two kids after the new one), and the income in the household. It shows whether or not you're eligible based on what's coming in the house and how many people are there. The same amount of money goes further for 3 people than it does for 4. And because he IS the father of the new baby, his income will count. It's basically to show they can show that he is that child's father and able to provide for that one.

I'm sure I'm not explaining this as clearly as I'm trying to, but hopefully, you get it. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• What about DD1's father?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• DD1's father is dead.

We can't get married yet, I already stated that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Absolutely. If he lives in the house and contributes to common bills why wouldn't his income be included?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• If his income is coming into your home yes they can. You will be married and he will be her father even if not biologically. These changes will not take place until the baby is born anyway. It may not change anything at all since her has two children dependent on his income. If they take the Medicaid away they will probably enroll her in CHIP instead. Of course they might not do anything except count his income. It depends on whether or not it goes over the limit or not.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Nice how you edited the original post sometime after the first 5 responses...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2013