Bribing children?

My son and his family came to celebrate their son's birthday. About an hour before dinner, my son asked f he could make the 2 year old a sandwich. (of course) The grill was started and not 15 minutes before the food would be cooked my DDIL fixed her another half sandwich. Needless to say I was not surprised when she was not hungry. Her parents were not pleased. So I mention that everyone needed to save room for the cake at which she brightened up. DH said that she could have no cake since she hadn't eaten any dinner (They have had difficulties over her not wanting dinner)
So I looked at her and asked if she wouldn't have a little sausage so she could have some birthday cake too. (I am sure you can picture the face of a grandma doing this)
She of course agreed and started eating about 3 slices o sausage.
DS excused himself to help me in the kitchen and was shocked!
You bribed my daughter, says he.
UMM
You never bribed us!
I just smiled that mommy smile and said OK
and walked in with the cake.

It cracks me up.
He still hasn't figured out all the times I just thing up so the cards would fall the way I wanted them.
LOL
He was still shocked and talked to his dad after dinner.

So have you shocked you kids lately?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 4:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Hahaha! Bribery, I have learned in the last five years, is perfectly acceptable as an occasional form of negotiation. Besides, your granddaughter did eat dinner, right? Your daughter-in-law had to know that if she fed the little one a sandwich, the kid wouldn't want to eat what came off the grill. Chalk it up to grandma rights!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• It's not bribery. It is positive reinforcement. Bribery is paying someone to do something less desirable or illegal. Pos. Reinforcement is encouraging a person to make the right choice.

My DD shocked me last night by chewing up her salad and spiting it into her cup as she drank then asking more for more grilled cheese- since she ate her salad. I was cleaning up and found the chewed up salad in the cup. The deceitful little booger. Clever- but wrong. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Heh heh... yes, it's bribery. And it's a time-honored parental tool. My mom used it, and looking back I remember it well!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Nothing wrong with tipping the odds in your favor. Though I think he was out of line to say no cake because she had no dinner. Those sandwiches were her dinner.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• she ate before dinner was cooked, why did she have to eat again to get cake?
    She would have cake with out eating the sausage.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• LOL you go GRANNY, they make a baby a entire sandwich, that counts as dinner in my book!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I could maybe answer that but I have learned sometimes you just roll with it.

The funny part was that the 33 year old son has never noticed the fine art of making what you want them to do more appealing LOL
    The funniest part is that he can't see that it was done to my kids loll and they never even knew it.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Bribery is when you pay before the task is done. Positive Reinforcement is when you give a reward after they have already done what you want them to do. And a salary is when you agree on the reward before the job is done, but pay after. The cake came after.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2013