They would not let mine or my neighbor kids off the bus...

I am irritated right now at the school transportation. If I jump around and sound crazy please forgive me. They held my DD5 and my neighbors DS5 on the bus because 'no one was their to receive them' . Here's the thing though. I live in an apartment complex. 25-30 kids get off that bus and there is only about 4 adults and 2 teenagers down there. I admit I was not there to get DD. I was 3 cars behind the bus actually. However, I had made arrangements with my neighbor to get my DD home. BUT they did not let her son off either because she was standing 7 feet away where she could not clearly see her... even if they did... she looks nothing like her son-she looks Hispanic and her son is very white with blonde hair- and this driver doesn't know what the parents look like. Plus ours are the only two held on the bus despite the lack of adults for each child. Then again... our 2 kids are the only white ones. This has not happened any other time this school year and no one told us about any policy changes...but I keep going back to 'how does the driver know who does and does not have a parent there to get them?' I may sounds crazy but it feels like since there were no white people at the bus stop then the two white kids must not have had anyone there. How does she know we did not have arrangements for our kids to be taken home by someone else? Since when is it the drivers decision whether or not a child should be allowed to get off the bus. Around here there is one bus stop per neighborhood and A LOT of parents co-op to get the kids home without having to walk there everyday. I am just confused as to what this driver was thinking and kinda irritated that I had to drive tot he school to get our kids when it was not necessary. I am not angry but I am annoyed. I understand wanting to keep the kids safe but especially at an apt complex I am not sure how the driver can decide this. What do you think? I am calling transportation tomorrow (calmly-don't worry) .

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• It's a safety issue. I would rather a bus driver err on the side of caution. Our elementary school requires parents put those allowed to pick their child up on a list regardless of whether or not they're bus riders. Until the child is released to the parent, the school is responsible for anything happening to that child.

I get looking different from your kid - I'm very white and my oldest DS looks very mexican. This is when you step up to the door of the bus and speak with the driver stating you're so & so's mother.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Look I know you were there, but the driver didn't, suppose he/she let your kid off and nobody was there to pick them up, I am assuming the driver said do you see your parent? Most likely the kids said no. I think they were in a better "safe than sorry" situation.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• they are FIVE and you are mad because the bus driver was looking out for their safety?

wow...
    if you look different from your kid, and even if you don't actually- say hello to the bus driver tomorrow and ask about having someone else pick your kid up here or there- so you know
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I just googled the rules for getting off the bus in our district, it states that children 5 or under will not be allowed off of the bus unless an adult that has signed a form to pick them up are there, children with siblings who are older than 5 are allowed to depart the bus with them, look I know it was a giant pain in the tuckus, but I have to side with the driver in this one, because of the age of your kiddo. If it were the other way as in you hadn't told the neighbor to pick your child up, and you hadn't been 3 cars behind, would you have wanted the driver to just let them off?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• We are all telling you what we think just like you asked. IMO I think the driver did the RIGHT thing. I would want that done for my grandchild.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 5:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• There are two sets of siblings kinder and 4th and kinder and 5th who get off the bus without a parent everyday
    *********
    Right- they are getting off with an older sibling...so therefore-no parent required
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• You obviously are stuck in your opinion- so just call the school and bitch about it tomorrow...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I think it's good that they didn't let the kids off if they didn't see the parents but it's odd that they wouldn't let them off AND they don't know what the parents look like anyway. My son is dropped off right in front of my mom's house every day (only kid who gets off) and usually my mom is there to get him. One day I got off work early so I waitied and when the bus came and the driver saw me and not my mom, he didn't open the doors right away. Instead he asked my son who I was and when my son told him he lef him off and then apologized to me. I actually really appreciated that. If anything I'd call and ask your school what the point of their policy is. Better than nothing I suppose but still a bit pointless IMO.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I think you should be thanking the driver. He did the right thing.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I ask again...were the other kids that WERE let off without their parents, over the age of 5 - or out of kindergarten

this sounds like a pretty standard rule to go by...and that's how it was when my kids were in school...
    *****

lets say bus driver let everyone off, and something happened to your kid between there and getting home...then what? How pissed would you be then?!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2013