I'd like all your opinions on this

I was outside of the school waiting for my son. The bell rang,the kids came out. One boy came out in a huff and said,"GOD! I hate teachers! I got yelled at just for jumping off a railing!" A few kids decided to play tattletale,and ran up to the police liaison to tell him what the kid said,and to point out where the kid was.
You would have thought the kid had come out threatening to burn down the school with the way the liaison acted. He rounded up 2 more teachers,and they had a conference right in front of me about "what should be done in this situation"
By the time we left,one of the teachers was on the phone to this kid's parents.
So is this what we've come to?
A kid (who is 13 by the way) can't even vent his frustration without everyone assuming he is now a threat to himself or others?
And what's with the tattletaleing? I could see if the kid had said he was now going to do something to the teacher,yeah,but all he did was walk to his bike and look like he was going to cry. The teacher probably embarrassed him,and now he'll be treated like a criminal.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Wow, maybe a phone call should have been made, but they over re-acted in my OP.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Kids are kids. Everything is taken too seriously these days. A simple "don't talk like that" would have worked fine.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• major overreaction. i can understand wanting to address being disrespectful but that went a tad overboard. if i was reprimanded everytime i talked shit about a teacher, i'd never have graduated.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• That is really disturbing. That poor kid. I would be pissed if someone called me because my kid said he hated teachers. They would get the ass reaming from hell over it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• There are a lot of things/ words kids are not allowed to say on school grounds and every child knows it. I disagree with the thought that people can not say this word or that word or in this case express frustration. There used to be a little thing called freedom of speech. Little by little it is being taken away. When this boy is seriously reprimanded, he will learn that he an not express his frustration with his words. If that is the case the what is left; his actions.
    I have thought for a long time that people are setting their own stages for violence by not allowing the outlets necessary to blow off steam. Then the circle continues with more "regulations and restrictions" It is foolishness. But the fact is that frightened people do foolish things and schools have been in the news a lot lately and not because of their academic successes.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• good grief- this is what happens when parents complain about EVERYTHING I think...it ends up that kids can't just BE kids
    everything is taken to an extreme

*YES there ARE things that teachers officials or parents SHOULD be notified of and things that should be taken care of or looked into...THIS is not one of them!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I'm gonna be the odd man out on tattle-taling. I happen to like it. It gives you a chance to teach a child what should and should not be reported. So I don't discourage it outright.

But the school staff over-reacted. They should have responded the way any parent of a three year old would repson when something pointless is tattled, "Thanks for telling me but this isn't a problem."

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• They seriously overreacted.

It's disturbing that kids that age are STILL tattletaling.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• It does seem like a bit much. We're going to drive a whole generation of teenagers to spontaneously combust if they can't even blow off a little steam in front of the school now and then.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• They should still be going by what my kids learned in kindergarten concerning tattling. Is it helping or telling to let an adult know?

What the kid did hurt no one.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2013