If someone comes up to you and asks you for money, do you give it to them?

so i was a tad freaked out tonight as i was leaving my parents' house. they're out of town til next sunday so i've been going over there 3 times a day to take care of their dogs. last night i noticed a guy walking around, thought nothing of it, lots of people walk around in their neighborhood. tonight though i saw him again as i was backing out of the driveway and he waved me down, i for whatever reason rolled the window down instead of driving off. he asked me if my uncle was asleep... im like- my dad lives here, he's not home right now. he then said he was talking to him the other day, and said he's not "evil or anything" he just got out of jail and has no money, he wanted a dollar or a cigarette. i said i have neither, sorry. though i did... lol but he was wearing nice clothes, he was definitely not some poor bum. just gave me the creeps. i feel like he's stalking the house or something, ill have to ask my dad later if he really did talk to some guy the other day and gave him a cigarette.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Never.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• No. Sometimes I will say "I was just going to ask you the same thing. " It really depends on who it is.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Nope
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I think that you might want to spend the night or have someone spend the night at your paren'ts house, he could be casing the place to see your coming and goings. I think it is odd he asked about your "uncle", IDK but you might want to leave some lights on, or something.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Nope. I usually get the "my car ran out of gas and my pregnant girlfriend/wife/mother is in the car so can I have a few dollars" parking lot solicitation. I usually tell them I don't carry cash. Same story, different state. I don't like to meet the eyes of panhandlers at intersections either.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I don't know, creepy I don't think you should have said they weren't home. Even if that just means they weren't home for an hour, that could get him paying attention to the house (I am such a worrier)
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I usually don't carry cash anymore, but when I rode the bus downtown every day, I'd give out change sometimes, or a dollar bill if I was completely sure it was a single. I used to buy McDonald's coupons to pass out occasionally, too, since I knew at least the person would get something hot to eat. I haven't been approached in a long time, but it sometimes shocks me how hostile peple seem to be about someone asking. Not that I have a ton of money to give away, but I've been at the point in my life where it could have been me who needed somebody's loose change. I never did ask, but that was mostly because my disability kept me from walking up to people and making eye contact; otherwise, I very well might have. I sure didn't turn it down when somebody helped me push a couple of shopping carts back to the supermarket, in the days when you got a dollar each for returning them, and then let me have all the cash.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Oh, but that guy by your parents' house sounds creepy. That's another story.
    Ballad

• Girlllllll! You just told some random guy there wasn't anyone at home?! LOL, you goober.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• We've had a slew of "homeless" people begging outside of Walmart,and our local gas station
    One one woman begs for a living. She's been offered housing and a SNAP card,but she'd rather stand outside 10 hrs a day and then pay for a $150 a week hotel room.Our paper did a story on her,and she's making up to $1000 a week begging. She was arrested once for spitting in a woman's face after she offered her a bag of fast food
    We have a new one at Walmart. Young woman with a "need a miracle" sign
    There are 2 "vets" that beg outside of the gas station. They are just alcoholics,and NOT homeless. A friend of a friend knows them personally and passed the info on to the city via Facebook

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2013