I wish more politicians had the same set of values, don't you?

This seems unreal.)Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many, or more important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 32 Presidents preceding him. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri . His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.

When he retired from office in 1952 his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There was no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me.. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."

As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, too many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale (ie. Illinois ).

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!

We ought to have cloned him for telling it like it is and being frugal with our tax dollars!

If you agree, forward it. If you don't, delete it. I don't want to know one way or the other. By me forwarding it, you know how I feel.

Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• My father always said Truman was our greatest President.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Fascinating.

My great grandmother, before she died, would always answer "Harry Truman" when doctors asked her who the President was, testing her mind. One of them finally questioned her about why she said that, since she could give all of the other information correctly, and she told him Truman was the last good man in the White House.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Honesty, hard work & ethics have went by the way side for far too long. And quite frankly, I'm tired of my husb. & I and many people like us working our asses off & still barely able to just get by! We're told to tighten our belts, but those telling us to do so, do just the opposite & live high off the hog! It's sickening. I think it's long overdue for us citizens to take out the trash! >:(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• ". I think it's long overdue for us citizens to take out the trash! >:("
    In 3 words....American Revolutionary War. Congress will not have to worry about charging Obama with possible treason with this Syrian thing, the Americans will do it for them. Then they are next.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Harry Ass Truman, that's funny. I read somewhere that the S. in his name didn't stand for anything. He just found it inconvenient not to have a middle name,what with forms to fill out and everything, so he started adding the S.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• In all fairness, no president received a pension until the late fifties I don't believe. (I'd need to check my dates to be sure) But he did have some great things to say:

1. I do not understand a mind which sees a gracious beneficence in spending money to slay and maim human beings in almost unimaginable numbers and deprecates the expenditure of a smaller sum to patch up the ills of mankind.

2. Any denial of human rights is a denial of the basic beliefs of democracy.

3. Republicans don’t like people who talk about depressions. You can hardly blame them for that. You remember the old saying: Don’t talk about rope in the house where somebody has been hanged.

4. Experience has shown how deeply the seeds of war are planted by economic rivalry and social injustice.

5. The Republicans believe in the minimum wage — the more the minimum, the better
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• the reason Congress started giving Presidents the pension plan they now get is b/c of the embarrassingly poor conditions Truman lived in. they felt it was unAmerican to let a former President live that way and gave him (and all future ex-pres) the pension plan. most ex-presidents give it away to various charities. Truman was one of the few Presidents that wasnt shock & awe wealthy, so most ppl never imagined a president would want for anything. he was not ready to be President, and many ppl were not happy with him getting the VP nomination b/c he wasnt an elite. many scholars say the only reason FDR chose Truman was to stop his inquiries into wasteful spending during WW2.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• the man was far from perfect and he was not the best president we ever had. his demeanor was crass and he used a LOT of colorful language (that today would be no biggie for most ppl). Truman is a lot of the reason for the start of the Cold War (simply put, he shamed Russia and treated them with disrespect after they had lost so much helping the Allies in WW2, and they were pissed). there is also a heated debate in historian circles about whether he gave Japan enough time to surrender before dropping the 2nd bomb.

my point, dont take things at face (or chain email) value. just b/c he was frugal doesnt mean he could fix all our problems today or that he was some sorta genius. he was not your typical rich president so he didnt live like one during or after his presidency. also, no president had secret service detail once they were out of office back then...but the email does a good job of making it sound like they did.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• right...cause when the liar is a Republican he's great and we want him to come back and lie to us some more. but when its a Democrat he's the worst thing to ever happen to this country and should be impeached.

this is why i refuse to join a political party....the us vs them mentality when they are the exact same liar making the exact same stupid decisions is maddening. "when its MY liar, i love him for his lies and think he's great. when its not my liar he's the scum of the earth and everything thats wrong with this country." its so stupid and hypocritical.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• "I would take another Nixon."

really?! the epitome of the lying, cheating, fear-mongering, most likely insane politician? the go-to face of corruption in the Oval Office?

I thought this was the majority of the Presidents we've had lately.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2013