Spinoff of the 'do you give people money" post. People selling stuff outside of stores

We have these black guys that are outside of Walmart every weekend,selling candy bars for a "basketball league" for poor kids
They are EXTREMELY aggressive. They'll yell out to you, or walk up to you,candy in hand.
We'll go through the side door to avoid them. They don't take no for an answer. If you say no thank you,they tell you they'll catch you on the way out.
One week I asked them how I could get ahold of their charity to make a donation instead of just giving them $2 for M&M's,and got a blank stare and a "ummmmmm..."
So basically,it sounds like BS
So,do you buy stuff from people selling outside of the grocery store?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in Just for Fun

• In your case I would go to the manager and complain about them. Ours have to petition the store to be allowed to sell outside (it is the store's property)
    We have girl scouts and boy scouts and various organizations outside of many of our stores. I never have a problem with aggression. They call out to passers by.
    Depending on the cause I will buy from them.
    There was a girl scout troop I mentioned months back.
    The older ones teemed up with the little ones and the little ones mostly did the selling, while the older ones helped them with the money.
    They were so cute. DH bought from them and then I had to go to the store and I bought from them too. LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• At our local grocery store we have the petition people, please sign for such and such to get some bill passed. Now if I am not in a hurry, I will stop to see what they are trying to do, but I can't tell you how many times they have been rude because I don't just stop and sign a random thing!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I go in through the garden section to avoid them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Only Girl Scout cookies and street papers. The vendors for street papers are homeless and keep a percentage of what they make. I kinda have to respect the fact that at least they're doing something besides panhandling on street corners.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• generally, no. Not even the kids- it seems you can't go anywhere without someone trying to sell you candy, cupcakes, popcorn, cookies...
    and honestly, I hope they raise the money they need- but I don't need those calories in my life!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I don't buy stuf from aggressive sellers like that. I've bought Girl Scout cookies a few times, and baked goods or burritos and tamales, because I've also sold baked goods on the street and I was grateful when people bought them. Of course, that was before the days when everybody freaked out about health codes and germs and such, which I can understand, but it has cut way down on street wares.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• *I will, help people out though if they strike me as a person who could really use it. There was a homeless guy in Austin I gave money to once or twice- he was out there a lot it semmed for awhile...then we never saw him again. Wondered what happened. He just seemed really in need to me. Unlike the other guy who was out like every time I went down there and once there were cops called on him because he was bothering people in or just outside of one of the stores-anyway, they were saying he gets money and has no need to be asking for it - and that he was frequently getting the cops called on him
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Not usually, unless it is an organization I know about.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I'm a band nerd at heart so I can't pass up the band bake sales or the soccer bake sales.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• unless it's girl scout cookies, no
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2013