What do I do about bed time wit my son.

I try to make him play outside after shcool. l have him wind down and watch a little TV before sending his sister to bed and then I send him to bursh his teeth and go into his room to wind down with a book. He waits until bed time to bounce around, act crazy, and won't stay in his room. This is even though I try to get him to do all this after shcool. I take him to the playground and he just sits there and plays in the dirt. He is all over the house with me yelling at him to stay in his room adn read. He runs into his sisters room keeping her up to. I then have to punish him for that and then when I tell him lights out I tuck him in and give him a hug and then he is back up again. Laughing and chasing the cat. He will stay in his room after lights out for the most part but he giggles adn plays with his toys ot looks at comics or out the window. I try taking all the stuff hei splaying with but he find soemthing else. He is awak for school at 6 and he will not go to sleep until after 11 most nights and he keeps his sister up until at least 9 or 10. This is with me sitting near his door so I can keep him somewhat quiet. I am at my witts end. He is alsmot 9 years old and acting 3.

What can I do?
We have a routine
dinner, shower/play, snack, TV, read a book, brush teeth, lights out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• take away the TV and send him in earlier?? Tell him when he can stay quiet and not bug his sister he can earn TV back???
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• No TV and make reading the last activity.......someone else reading to him while he is in bed. Read several books. The rule here was that they had to stay in their rooms after lights out (with a night light) but they could look at books or have a few soft toys in bed (with a book light). One child could not wind down quickly and the other was asleep before all the books were read. Some kids simply need less sleep than others. Contnue to sit at the door until the new routine sets in. No talking, just sitting there. GL!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Make him go to bed earlier
    di967134

Answer by di967134 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I agree with Silverthreads.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• He already gos to bed at 8:30.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• My nephew was diagnosed with ADHD. Turns out, he needed spinal adjustments due to his rambunctious antics, and more sleep. Some children can't handle tv. My kids can't. Mine have NO MORE than one hour a day. If a movie goes over an hour, it shuts down. There's something about it, with all the activity... you'd have to Google the studies I'd looked at- it's been awhile, but studies show that tv makes some children anxious. Sounds like he might benefit from earning the use of his toys? I took my DS1's away for a good 3 days, and he had to ask for each one individually. He gradually started earning privileges back with good behavior. He also might like to turn some music on and clean windows for you, Momma. : ) Mine love to help, I put vinegar water in a small spray bottle, hand him a couple paper towels, and have him clean the windows, the glass doors, etc. HOURS of entertainment. My mirrors need cleaned later, but hey!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• Maybe 8:30 is too early for him. Maybe he doesn't need as much sleep as most kids his age. I wouldn't send him to bed earlier, and I wouldn't try to force him to go to sleep, either. I'd simply make a new rule that at X time (my boys, almost 10 and almost 13) go to bed at 9 most nights), he has to go in his room and be quiet. He can read quietly in bed, he can color or do crossword puzzles, play with stuffed animals or other soft, quiet toys, but he HAS to stay in bed. Aside from the fact that the quiet activities should help chill him out so he goes to sleep, you're eliminating the biggest problems, which are him running around the house and keeping his sister awake.

Alternatively, you could see his doctor to see if there's something medical going on that makes it difficult for him to sleep. The problem with that is that a doctor may want to prescribe medication to deal with it, and that may not be what needs to happen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2013