Do you let your kid watch the movie if you didn't let them read the book?

I had an acquaintance tell me she wouldn't let her 12 yo daughter read the Hunger Games yet, because it wasn't appropriate. This same woman posted a fb message saying that she was curled up with her DD watching the Hunger Games. WTF? Am I missing something here? Why would you let your kid watch the movie but not read the book? The main themes of the book didn't change in the movie, the violence was still there, so what made the movie ok, but the book off limits?

Do any of you do this or know someone who does? Can you explain this to me?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 11:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• It would depend. Say I tell them they can't read the book because it's got really graphic sex in it. The movie might skip over the sex scene(s), so if the only reason I said no to the book is because of the sex then sure, I'd let them watch the movie. In most cases, of course, if I said they couldn't read the book, I'd watch the movie by myself first to determine if it's okay for them watch it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I did the exact opposite. They couldn't watch the movies until they read the books and there were some movies I wouldn't let them watch even if they DID read the book.

However, I was a big believer in not limiting what my kids read. I can only think of a few books that were vetoed by me even though they were probably considered inappropriate for kids. I believe that kids can handle the written word much better than they can a visual assault to the senses.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I would now if my DS had an interest in the books. The books are much more violent IMO. The movie just kind of glosses over the horror of it all, and the books lay it out flat. My DS just recently turned 12.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2013

• I never have and I no longer have young kids. I will say that books can be more detailed. Movies assault us in our vision and our hearing and so it can affect us more strongly. Add to that the music which heightens our senses and awareness and is often we do notice through most of a movie and, IMO, it is a bad choice.
    If I myself, have watched it first, I may decide that it is appropriate, but that never happened when my kids were at home.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• My kid isn't old enough for this to be an issue, but it doesn't make sense to me to okay a movie and veto the book. Maybe not the other way around, either. I can handle reading more violence in books myself than I can deal with hearing in movies. I excuse myself and leave the room if there's a torture or rape scene in a movie with a lot of screaming and begging in it; I can't handle that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I know people that allow the kids to read anything but not watch them once the hit the screens. Their reasoning is , in the books they don't think their children visualize as much as what would be "I their face" at the movies.

Personally for me if I won't let her watch it, then I don't think she will be reading it and that is all just based on age. At some point of course she can watch and read stuff like Hunger Games.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2013