Birthday Party Invites??

So my oldest is going to be 6 on Halloween! (makes me so sad and want to cry!!) Any way Archer is very social but there are a few kids in his class he just doesn't like, is it mean to not invite them to his birthday party? He doesn't like them and they have been mean to him, so I don't think that I am obligated to invite them. Just kinda wondering what other mommies think about it.

Pay920

Asked by Pay920 at 2:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Most schools have a rule that either no invitations may be given out on school grounds or the rule that if you pass one invitation you need to include them all.

You may invite whomever he wants but it teaches him that it is all right to be hurtful when it simply is not necessary. Send them to the children's homes by mail or hand deliver them.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Archer's school doesn't have that rule and I would be angry if they did. I am mailing them not sending them at school anyway but im not entirely sure how it teacher him to be hurtful just because he doesn't like some kids in his class and doesn't want to invite them to HIS birthday party??
    Pay920

Comment by Pay920 (original poster) at 2:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Only invite those who are friends. Keep it on the small side. No one is obligated to invite the entire class if the invitations are being mailed.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Our school has that rule...no birthday invites at all. Which I can understand but, my son has a few friends in school but he doesn't have many outside of school.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• most scools have that rule -to avoid drama and hurt feelings.

Only invite who he wants, but mail them or take them to the kids houses
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• My boys went to several different elementary schools, and all had that rule, but if you're mailing them you can be more selective. The problem that I see is that if you invite almost everyone else, but leave out a small number of children, that can be embarrassing and hurtful. I would either invite all of them, or limit the number to his closest friends. For younger kids they recommend 1 guest for each year old they are.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• If you are mailing them then you are in the clear. Let me ask you, would you invite people you didn't like to your party? There is your answer.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I would keep the party small and invite the kids your son enjoys being with, but I would also discourage him from telling everybody at school about it or saying to some of the kids that they aren't invited because they're mean. This is a good teaching opportunity when it comes to some of the finer points of how to get along with people he doesn't care for.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• even if you want it to be a big party I wouldn't make him invite people that bully him, I was bullied as a kid so on my bday I invited the whole grade expect the ones that bullied me, ya its kinda mean, but it's his party
    AllysMommy2013

Answer by AllysMommy2013 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Our rule is only friends are invited. We do not mail invites. My children invite them face to face and have the friend jot down the date and time. Either that or they get the friend's phone number and I call the parents. The schools here say invite the entire class or not at all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2013