Is this legal or not?

my parents just gave me whole bunch of vhs tapes that we've been collecting since i was born (it's got movies from my parents, my sister, me and my brother).
here's the question, if we turn around and put them on dvd, is that considered bootlegging (or whatever it's called) the movie or not?

most of them you can't find on dvd yet. just wondering, because i have a friend who has 700 vhs tapes and wants to know the same thing. we both have working vcrs, but who knows for how long

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2013 in Entertainment

• Nope.
    It's called conversion.
    Selling them would be bootlegging.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• These are personal tapes, not commercial ones. Your parents do not have a copyright on them. Therefore you have every right to do what you like with them.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I tried to play some tapes last night and my VCR keeps trying to eat them.
    :(
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• You just cannot sell them. Personal use is fine.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• It's legal If it works and you don't sell the movies, but some of the VCR tapes will have copyright protection on them which will not let them be converted. It's not a bad idea to try, though, because not only is there the question of how long the VCR's will last but the tapes deteriorate after a while and become unusable.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Haha no, but good thinking! You're not making a profit off anything nor are you copying someone else's work without permission. You're good!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2013