I am making a pumpkin punch bowl, has anyone ever done this?

I am making a pumpkin punch bowl to take to our fall fest party, do I need to line it with anything as to not have the punch leak through, or absorb the taste of the pumpkin?
My friend told me shellac the inside, but I am thinking not such a good idea?

Off to work, have a wonderful day!

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Never shellac the insides of anything you'll be eating out of or drinking from.

You need to place a plastic bowl inside the pumpkin to do this. So get your bowl first, then match it up to the pumpkin. To make sure you have a good tight fit.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• it's not that shellac tastes/ smells bad, it's paint. paint is toxic. people do not eat paint unless they want to poison themselves.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I would think the shellac would give the punch a bad flavor; the stuff smells awful and probably tastes worse. Cool idea, though, a pumpkin punch bowl.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I would just push in a plastic bowl like one you may use for salad. No Shellac!!! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• there are pumpkin punches available so you dont have to worry about lining the dish
    the leeching flavor would work to your advantage
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Yes, the Shellac was a bit overboard, lol I was hoping to not have to use a bowl, and then just throw big pumpkin away, taking a large jug to mix the punch in, and didn't want to mess with dishes-it is on a farm. I wonder if I could somhow attach a garbage bag to the inside of the pumpkin?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2013