Question about disability...?

If you make $3,000 a month working at a job & go on disability, how much will you make a month on disability?

Do you get medical coverage while you are on disability through Medicaid or do you have to buy your own? I assume your spouse is not covered & has to buy their own Insurance?

My Sister's DH can no longer work & she is going to Social Security to find out what she will receive. She may have to sell her home as a result as well.

Thanks for the info if you know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2013 in Money & Work

• It's really a case-by-case thing. If he gets SSD, which is payments for someone who has worked and put money into the system, the amount he gets will be based on what he made during his best working years. If he gets SSI, that's usually a set amount, and marital income will apply. Medicare usually goes along with Disability, Medicaid (state funded) goes with SSI. But the evaluation process can take months or even years, depending on the disability. If your sister and her family are hard up right away, she can go to the county where she lives and apply for a program called Aid to the Needy Disabled, which will pay out a small monthly stipend. When the Social Security comes through, the county will take what it has paid out from the lump sum check, which is payment of Disability from the date of application to the date of receipt.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• This is really a complicated process. My daughter has been unsuccessful getting approved for disability. We reapply every time she has new clinical information.

Before anything else, he'll have to be certified as disabled by the SSA. That will be their first step. The amounts he would receive vary. I'm also unsure about the medical coverage although I suspect that if their income drop significantly they will qualify.

Good luck to them. SSA should be able to help them get started
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• If SSA denies the first application, apply again immediately or contest it.

My DH was in the hospital with terminal leukemia and he was still denied SS disability the first time. From what our social worker at the hospital told us, it's common for them to deny the first claim.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• It will depend on how long the person worked and their wages while they worked. The average disability check is right around $1000/month from what I read. My ex husband is on disability and gets $1300/month and he was not a particularly high wage earner, worked for 19 years. Our kids also get a benefit amount of arou a $700 combined. He is definitely still able bodied (he goes canoeing, rock climbing, etc) so he could work and make up to $750/month without it affecting his disability, but he chooses not to. I don't know about his insurance.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• On the SSA website he should actually be able to find out what his disability payment would be. But they're really cracking down on who can get it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• You can call the SS office and ask them, but I would suggest getting a lawyer, how it works is they take a portion of the back SS pay. He may have had disability insurance through his job as well.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I got disability about 3 months after applying and my "back pay" about 7 months after applying. I get Medicare which is basically worthless garbage.... you'll need other insurance. My husbands job has insurance but too much drama and limited coverage for a CRAZY price so I have a custom plan thru private insurance

Avoid "helper" law firms like the plague. They may or may NOT get you approved on the 1st try and when you are approved, they get your retroactive pay and if it's not enough, you must pay them. The application process is scary and tough but not impossible. It really has very little to do with you and 99% to do with your doctor. Its best so speak with your physician and say I am applying for disability. What is your position going to be? Awkward chat but save you months or years of headache
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• you don't have to sell your home to get disability, however it might take so long to get it because they like to tie you up being denied and having to re-apply, that you won't be able to pay your bills.

Depends on what she made over the years as to how much social security disability she will get. Not everyone gets the same.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 11:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2013