My Granddaughter broke her Tibia down low on her leg 2 weeks and 5 days ago. Follow up at the doctors office yesterday he removed the hard cast and did not replace it with anything!

Should a hard cast be removed after such a short time and not be replaced with some support? Seems strange to me.

MizMia

Asked by MizMia at 11:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2013 in Kids' Health

• when the doctor was asked, "Has the break healed enough, to now have no support?" what was the response?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• They did the same for my niece when she was hit by a car. Tib-Fib fracture a couple of inches above her ankle. She was in a splint for a week, a hip-toes cast for 2 weeks, then bare leg. Shoot, the break was still clearly visible on X-rays when they took off the cast and sent her home. The fracture was NOT set properly, and she still walks a little bowlegged. She was hit last February.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Was this a general practitioner or an orthopedist? A fracture doesn't heal in 2 weeks
    2nd opinion!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• did whoever took your GD to the doctor not ask if this was common practice? What did the doctor say ( as feral asked earlier)
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 4:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• My DD fractured her femur-not bad but def. fractured- at 17 months and was in a hard cast for 5 or 6 weeks...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• What did the doctor say? I've seen breaks that never had a cast on them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• take her back to another dr for exrays and evaluation. a cast is ususally on for 6 weeks.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 7:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2013