Should step sisters share a room? Or is it okay to have my step kids to share a room since they only visit on the weekend?

My daughter is 7 and lives with us full time. My step son and step daughter are 11 and 7 respectively and only visit on the weekend. Is it unfair to want my daughter to have her own room?

BsmommyK

Asked by BsmommyK at 12:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Giving the girls separate rooms is catering to the stepdaughter, then. She needs to get CONSEQUENCES when she breaks things. Get Dad and her mom on board with this. I'd take photos of the broken items so that her mom can see what's going on. The three of you are parenting this child together, like it or not. So you need to all be on board with discipline for her behavior.

It's understandable she's upset. It's not acceptable that her upset results in this behavior so stop it NOW.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Your stepson is moving to an age where sharing isn't appropriate any more. So have the girls share. Actually, it will be GOOD for them and help them get closer. Just be careful in case they decide to start playing practical jokes on your stepson!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I'd keep the boy in a different room even if they weren't step siblings but yes two 7 year old step sisters are okay to share a room, especially if it's just on weekends.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• The two girls should share on weekends and the boy should have his own. It will teach your daughter a lot about sharing and getting along with others. Or you could put one of the kids in your bedroom and sleep on the couch, but it would be unfair to expect a 12 yo boy to share with his 7 yo sis. If they were all girls it wouldn't be an issue but they're not.

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Get your daughter a locking cabinet to out her special things in so they don't get broken on weekends. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, no matter what you want. The 12 yo is too old to be sharing a room with an opposite sex sibling.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Lock up the most valuable toys so they don't get broken. The boy is hitting puberty and needs his privacy. Doesn't matter what you want. The girls need to share the room for sleeping if nothing else. Either that or add on a guest room. It's rather unreasonable to expect a maturing young man to share a room with his kid sister.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I wouldn't think it would be a hardship for the two little girls to share a room, especially if it's just on weekends. Give your stepdaughter her own shelf or dresser or something that is just for her, not to be invaded by your daughter.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• The boy should have his own room, I agree. I think your daughter will be fine sharing with her stepsister, since it is only on weekends. She still has her own room during the week.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• She may not WANT to share a room but she's going to have to learn to. We all have to deal with situations we don't particularly appreciate at one time or another but, somewhere along the line, we acquire the maturity not to trash stuff because we're not happy. If you let her away with this now you'll never be able to get a handle on it. Get your husband on board with this. Get him to deal with the discipline and also to make sure she knows she's loved and wanted. It's important.

Good luck.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 1:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I would have the girls share a room. It all depends on budgeting. Ideal would be that they all have their own rooms, however if budget only allows a 3 bedroom house then the girls should share. I don't think it's appropriate for a brother and sister to share a room at that age.
    It's possible when the step kids get old enough to decide for themselves that they do not want to spend the night at your house, thus giving your daughter a room of her own.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2013