My cat seems to have lost her voice...what causes this?

About a week ago I noticed she was sounding weird, kind of squeaky. Now today, It's like she can't even make any sound. Should I be worried? What can cause this? She seems fine otherwise.

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 1:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2013 in Pets

• Our cat had that last winter. First it started out as a hoarse meow, that went away and he got a bad eye infection. The vet said both were caused by an upper respiratory infection. He had a round of antibiotics for his eye and she started him on a vitamin to keep his respiratory system clear.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• 2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Q: I have a question which several veterinarians could not answer for me. My cat Sylvester seems to have lost his voice. What would be the cause of this? Could an illness be involved?

A: Loss or change of voice is one of those vague problems that drive vets crazy. In most cases that I’ve encountered, I could not attribute the voice change to any particular cause. In some instances, however, the cause is readily apparent. The most common cause I’ve seen is a viral upper respiratory infection, with the herpes virus and/or the feline calicivirus being the main culprit. Most viral upper respitory infections result in runny eyes, snotty nose and lots of sneezing. Occasionally they’re result in laryngitis — a “sore throat” — and a hoarse or lost voice.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I had a cat for 15 yrs that sounded hoarse when he meowed... The Vet said he was fine.. He lived a long happy life.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Mine had a thyroid tumor wrapped around her neck. She only lasted a month after she started losing her meow. The mass was easy to feel.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• This happened to my cat. Our vet gave her an antibiotic and she was better in a few days.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2013