When should we get flu vaccine???

I had heard that it is possible to get it too soon so it doesn't last the whole flu season... so when should we be getting it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• I have an appt. for the kids and I to get ours next Monday. We usually get ours in Sept. & have been good & healthy for the past several flu seasons.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• October is the prime time. I wait until mid-October for mine unless we start seeing a lot of cases
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I decline the flu shot every year. I have to go 'round and 'round with the doctor about it every year too. My family is rarely sick. When i was in the military flu shots were mandatory, and every year I'd get the flu. I've been out for 10 years now, and have not gotten the flu in 10 years.

MY answer for MY family is: never.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• We never get them, but the automated voice when I called to refill my inhaler prescription at Walgreen's mentioned that they're already giving flu shots. So my guess would be now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• MY answer is also never
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• The flu shot doesn't protect against your average everyday flu...it's real perhaps is to prevent you and your family from getting influenza which can kill. I remember my mother getting it as a child, and my step father too I believe. We all had to go on meds as we never got flu shots as a child.

We get them in Oct. I got into the habit myself after HAVING to have it because of the immune supressents I was on(and hopefully will be on again soon). As even the simple everyday flu could put me into the hospital but the influenza virus(like what is it A?) would most likely kill me even with a hospital stay.

My son gets it as well, whole family.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• I wouldn't get it at all, unless I was pregnant, and the doctor made me (he did with the last one)
    I am not a big advocate of the "flu" vaccine.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Yeah, we don't get it either...and last year I got the flu for the first time since about 6 grade. Now if there was a shot to avoid the vomit/diarrhea GI thing, I'd probably get that. Thing with flu is that it's always last year's strain so no guarantee you won't get it but I suppose it can cut back on how badly you're hit if you do get it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• Never, for my family.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2013

• The military/trycare is giving them out now.

Answer by louise2 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2013