• In the Spotlight:

Baby signing

Any thoughts on how to start this? My daughter is 7 months. I have the book with all the signs, but just not sure how to start. Is repetition the only way?

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 8:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I recommend using ASL.

Repetition is key. When you're giving her food, sign "food" and put the food in front of her. When she takes a bite sign "eat" always saying the words out loud, too.

We started at birth and at about 8 months they started signing back. They understood the signs much earlier though.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I bought the Hooked On Phonics Baby Sign Langauge kit and was wanting to start at 3 months. But I thought it would be best to wait until around 5 months, that way I can hold my dd's attention a little longer. She is 4 months now, maybe I will start. I wish you all the luck, I am in the same boat, so I don't have any advice, unfortunately!
    AmyRae1008

Answer by AmyRae1008 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I did the sign for "more" one day, and DD just copied me. Repetition is key . . . I personally feel that the only signs I want my DD to know are the basics: eat, drink, more, milk, all done. I would rather her speak the words for more "intricate" things: dog, cat, strawberry, etc. I feel the basics are enough to help her communicate with me until she really starts speaking.

Its pretty simple though: say the word and do the sign at the same time. They say most babies start signing around 1 year, when they have better control of their hands. I started signing at one year, and DD was signing within a couple weeks.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Repetition is VERY important. How else can they pick it up?

Babies usually sign milk or more first. Your baby will understand your signs even if she isn't doing them back yet. I started signing at 6 months, he started signing milk at 7 months and uses it to mean both milk and food. He just started signing ceiling fan. He picked that up within a few days of me showing it to him because he loves watching it. He understands signs for eat, more, and cookie but doesn't do them. Start with signs that are needs (milk, eat, diaper change, etc) or highly motivating (ceiling fan in our case) then add more signs as she starts picking them up. Its frustrating but worth it.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I used the "My Baby Can Talk" signing DVDs. We loved them! They give simple explanations for how to make each sign that really helped ME remember them. My daughter just loved them and would watch them very closely - any other TV she just walked away from. I was so excited when she made her first sign - Tree. Go figure! We were on a walk and she pointed to a tree in the vague, whole arm way of babies and then waved her arm in the arm in a very good imitation of "tree". When I mimicked the sign and said Yes, that is a tree. She just beamed!

Even now at 31 months, she will still sometimes revert to a sign if I am having a hard time understanding her. It's saved us a lot of frustration on both sides.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Baby Einstein has some wonderful signing videos and my daughter watched them from a very young age and a few months later she was using the signs easily and correctly. I, too, used many signs like: more, eat, milk, drink, thank you, bed, daddy, mommy, etc., every time I said the words out loud to my daughter.
    She still uses many of the signs along with saying the words aloud, and as Kaycee said above, it saves us both from being frustrated when I can't figure out what she is saying.
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 1:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009