Should we get a puppy?

I'm just wondering if there is a breed that would be more tolerant of our lifestyle, or if we should throw out the idea of getting pets.

1. Hubby and I work full-time, which means nobody's in/around the house for 10 hours/day.

2. Our daughter is 1, and we have no other pets.

3. We have a large fenced-in area with a shed outside. I'd want our buddy out there during the day when we're not home.

4. I'm okay with letting the dog in the basement when weather is bad, but I'm absolutely against having animals in the main living area of the home.

5. We don't have time for grooming every day...so a big shedder or a high-maintenance dog would not be happy with us.

6. We'd need a dog that's easily trained...when to bark, when to stay quiet, etc.

7. Size doesn't really matter, but no extremes...something between 15-100 lbs would be fine.

MrsAlmeda

Asked by MrsAlmeda at 8:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Lets just say, I wouldn't be able to confine my dogs away from my family. Not an unfit owner, but maybe not as caring? That's just how I was raised and my opinion. If you got two dogs, that might be a bit better as they could keep eachother company while you are gone, but i would still absolutely stay away from getting puppies. Maybe a couple of dogs that have grown up together that someone's looking to rehome? I think you still have a lot of research to do on breeds, relationships (between breeds and dogs in general), and the true responsibility you'd be taking on. Again, good luck.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Labs are really really good dogs. I've never heard of one turning on the owner. And they will bark as a gaurd dog but not attack. (if its purebreed) they shed though- but all dogs shed there are only a few breeds that have "human" like hair and those dogs are inside dogs. Labs are retrievers so they learn commands well. You just have to train them
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Get a fish.

A dog is a member of the family, IMO.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• also one thing to think about.. you say youd be gone for 10 hrs a day. Are you honestly going to want to come home and take care, and play with a dog? It wouldn't be fair to the dog for you to come home from work... feed and water it and go in the house for the night. That is what causes dogs to act unruley because they are lonely and a chaind up all day.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Ya'll mean to tell me that people with full-time jobs wouldn't make good pet owners?
    MrsAlmeda

Answer by MrsAlmeda at 8:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I dont think you are dog "people". You wouldn't be doing the dog any good just by having it outside all day long, and inside the basement only when weather calls for it. Thats my opinion. Maybe you should try a cat or a bird... they are less needy
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I didn't say that did I? I was answering your question- giving you food for thought.
    And you did straight come out and ask

Should we get a puppy?

Wimsey was giving you her opinion.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If I were you, I would NOT get a puppy. Puppies cannot be left alone for 10hrs a day, that would be just cruel. You could NEVER housebreak a puppy if it had to be left alone for that long every day, not to mention you would end up spending hrs after you got home cleaning up poo and pee (unless you kennel the dog in the house) and that would be cruel to leave a pup kenneled that long! Get a dog that is already housebroken and one that is a little older in age. One that doesn't have energy bursting out of his/her ears, a young dog would have too much energy to be left alone that long and would get way too bord (and this would result in a dog that destroys your basement while trying to burn energy). 
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Having a pet especially a dog, it will take alot of responsibility so if you have time go for it.

I would rather wait in my opinion, your child is very young and you already have a handful with her so it is up to you.

Why don't you pretend to have a pet at first and go from there. GL Don't rush it.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'm also not sure why you would want a dog that stays in your basement and/or outside 24/7. Dogs are pack animals and should be a part of the family, they should not be confined to the basement/outside.

Get a cat, they are content to be left alone for that long of a time. Other pet options for you and your families lifestyle: Fish, Caged Animal (rat, hamster, gerbil, ferret), Bird . . . .

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009