HIPA violation ???

We live in a small town - my kids go to a local dentist - so a girl my din goes to school with, her mom works as a receptionist at the dental office.
She texted my din last night telling him he had a dental appointment in the morning at 8 am.
Why would this 8 th grader need to know that?
Should she even know that?
I'm like whst the he** -
Would you be upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, I wouldn't.
    I don't see being reminded of an appt, a violation. My girls' dentist office sends out automated texts.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• If I'm understanding this correctly the daughter of the receptionist sent your son the text. If that is correct then it definitely stretches HIPAA compliance. Appointment reminders are generally acceptable under HIPAA but they have to come from someone who is classified as a "business associate" of the practice that is doing the reminding. Unless the daughter works at the dentist's office she wouldn't be considered a business associate.

At the least, it's inappropriate. Instead of getting pissed off, however, use this as a teaching opportunity. Let the mother know that you wish to have any reminders sent to you, by her or someone else in her office.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I'm not pissed off - I think it's unacceptable! For this 13-14 yr old to know my sons business.
    I'm wondering if she reads all the charts in the office.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• "I'm wondering if she reads all the charts in the office. "

THAT would be a HIPAA violation.

If you're inclined to file a complaint you can do so on the federal HHS website. In the interim, I'd send a letter to the dental office clearing stating your concern about the incident (giving exact dates/times) and making them aware that you are concerned about the integrity of your son's PHI (personal health information).
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:46 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Nope
    what is a din?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:19 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I am with Prissy, might be a violation, but it is definitely inappropriate. You need to let the office know that an 8th grader that doesn't work at the office should not have ANY information about your child, including his appointment time. If she has seen his chart, or anyone's chart for that matter, then that IS a HIPPA violation.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Maybe the mother said, Johnny is coming in the office tomorrow, and the teen took it up on herself to pretend she was in the "know"? I think you are having a huge over-reaction to this.
    My DH will say I saw xyz in the office today, we don't talk about his patient's treatment, but you should just tell the mother what happened and drop it for goodness sakes, it is the DENTIST, not the STD clinic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• "My DH will say I saw xyz in the office today, we don't talk about his patient's treatment, but you should just tell the mother what happened and drop it for goodness sakes, it is the DENTIST, not the STD clinic"

I strongly disagree with this. It doesn't matter what type of medical office it is, HIPAA is in place for a reason. Either you adhere to it or you don't (and yes, even telling you he saw a mutual friend at his practice is skating pretty close to the edge) but it's unwise to tell people they are overreacting by being concerned about their PHI
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Just casually mention that you would prefer that the reminder calls be made to you, not to your minor children.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Probably a violation, yes, but a fairly minor one. I'd let it go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2013