S/O of the conversation about slut shaming, rape culture... adult content

So, in my answer yesterday, I mentioned the orientation at college and asked if you've heard the radio lately... that song Blurred Lines and how my daughter brought up the other day that she hates it. I just saw this: this is a bit long with the pics- but I am (and taught my kids to be) big on lyrical content in the musice they choose to listen to. I don't think a lot of people even pay attention much. Anyhow, here it is:

*I was going to post it in here, but the pics are coming out huge and I found a link that goes right  to it (saw it on tumblr)
********
Do you pay attention to the  lyrics in music you listen to?
Do you care?
what is your opinion of this song and do you think it's a problem that people sing along happily 
*wasn't sure to go with entertainment or politics and Current events with this one...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:05 AM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• From going to another site where there's just the lyrics and no commentary, it does not sound like a rape song to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I don't see the rapist song they are trying to portray

It's the difference between knowing and assuming - a woman saying "I like it rough, smack my ass" is not the same as a man assuming a woman likes it rough, and wants her ass smacked. Put it in a different perspective. If a woman shoved a man down in bed and shoved a dildo in him without asking, because she "knew he wanted it", nobody would think twice about calling her a psychotic fuck. Why is it when a man assumes he knows what a woman wants without asking, it's just flirting or having game?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:24 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• And heavy metal music is supposed to be satanic? (((Rolls eyes))) I've never actually heard that song, but my radio station is usually on country, alt rock, or classic rock station. A good beat is usually what catches my attention, but the lyrics are the reason I continue to listen.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I think some like music for the beat not the words. Do I think this song is disgusting, YES I do!
    I would hope no one near me would openly sing the lyrics adn if they did in my house or at a function I was hosting it would be shut down. I am very much against any sort of rape or advertisement of such actions!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I listend and red the lyrics and I don't hear I'm going to rape you. It's more so you've been a good girl and I see a badness that wants to come out so be bad with me.

Is it something I want my Los singing no but I don't see the rapist song they are trying to portray.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I don't see it as a rape song, though I do find the lyrics a bit unsettling for me. I have heard the song, and I do like the beat. I've also noticed (and maybe it's just an issue with the stations I listen to) that the words are pretty much impossible to make out (but it's not like rap impossible to make out, it's different), so I actually didn't know what the lyrics were at all until I read them one day.

I do tend to listen to mostly country and classic rock, where the words are easy to understand. There are some songs that could be construed as glorifying something bad (She Talks To Angels, for example, about heroin use), but as I try to explain to my sons, just because we see it on TV or hear it in a song doesn't mean we accept it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• If a woman shoved a man down in bed and shoved a dildo in him without asking, because she "knew he wanted it", nobody would think twice about calling her a psychotic fuck. Why is it when a man assumes he knows what a woman wants without asking, it's just flirting or having game?

Not sure but I'm sure at the same time women can see a man and say damn I'd do X Y and Z to him in bed. While the song may be over sexual I still do not feel its saying they want to rape women. Presumptuous about getting laid or how they will get laid yes. Like I said nothing I'd want my Los singing.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:06 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• that sites a bit much...really trying too hard. is it a skanky song, sure. do ppl not realize how dirty it is, sure (but thats most music on the radio). the content of the song is why i dont listen to it when my kids are around. but as a women who likes that kinda talk (from the right person), i dont see it as being rape happy.

like every song its all in what you bring to it personally and how it moves you. i dont deny that if i had been raped and those were the words used by the guy, this song would creep me out. but just b/c its creeps others out for those reasons, doesnt mean i have to outright hate the song in order to be against rape.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• If it was meant for children

if they didn't want children to hear it, they wouldn't be marketing it to top 40 pop stations that play Bieber and 1 Direction
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Yuck! I never really liked the song but that just really shed some more light on it. Wow.
    I'm not surprised though. Women are continually portrayed as sex objects-furthering justifying a warped mans idea of what women "should" do for them.
    Puke.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2013