What is that strange strong smell in a house where there are urine cleanings daily? It''s not pee.

It almost smells like a nail polish remover or something. I happened to notice it also, somewhere else...but the reason there, is pet clean up. Is it the cleaner w enzymes making this after odor and is their a remedy for it? Again, it's not pee..but poss result of cleaning...

Nellie71

Asked by Nellie71 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Health

• You clean so much, that your house reacts of cleaner that's all.

Answer by louise2 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Urine soaks through the sub floor (Carpet & wood). Cleaning it daily, the cleaner also soaks through. So you have a combo of chemicals & urine saturation. How about putting down peepee pads?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:04 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• If you are using something like Nature's Miracle, it kinda smells like nail polish remover. Our dog is pretty old & we have put down wee-wee pads in a couple of spots to try to save our carpeting. Sometimes she makes it on the pad, sometimes not. I have a carpet cleaner & the Nature's Miracle. We can't afford to replace the carpet & padding, but will have it professionally cleaned once she goes on to doggie Heaven to be with her sister.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• This isn't my own home, so I'm not sure how to bring it up to them. In the one home..I had never noticed it until they rescued a small dog that wasn't trained very well. Maybe while I'm there I can just ask how the doggy is doing and offer the suggestions you have given. They have always maintained their home beautifully inside and out..but this little guy they love so much, and do what they can to keep things clean and smelling good, but the cleaners&pee have taken over:/ They even steam clean often, but this weird smell remains and think they are so use to it, they don't smell it themselves. Also, adding too the task, they babysit a couple other dogs often and since dogs are territorial by nature, they add to this as well 'm sure. Like I said, I never smell pee, just that weird remnant of cleaning stuff..,and believe they do use the cleaner mentioned. Thank you so much for your input:)
    Nellie71

Comment by Nellie71 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Ammonia.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2013