is inducing labor bad for the mom or the baby

normal pregnancy, grand-daughter wants to give birth b-4 her sister-in-law & is just impatient

greatgrannyof2

Asked by greatgrannyof2 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Reputable doctors do not induce for the reason listed above.

And yes, it can be dangerous if the baby isn't ready

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• It can be dangerous for both mother and baby.

Sounds incredibly immature to want to risk her health and the well-being of her baby just to "one-up" her SIL.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• No doctor would do that. It's fine for a good reason but often results in a c section.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• All the above answers are good, I am a mother of 5, grandmother of 9 & greatgradnmother of 2, soon to be 3 with one due on 9-21.
    I would never, ever let a doctor induce me but then all my children were born between 1956 & 1964. I was shocked to hear that this was even being considered! thanks for the input!!
    greatgrannyof2

Comment by greatgrannyof2 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• A good Dr. will only induce for a medical reason & depending on how far along you are.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• The I would say it is not a wise idea. It is always better for both to allow the baby to come at his or her own pace.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:02 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• It's all about weighing the risks. Induction is sometimes the best option, better for the mom and baby than letting nature take its course. Just getting impatient and wanting to give birth first, that's crazy. I'd be surprised if a doctor would get on board with that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• honestly think about it... it's common sense... anyway if the doctor says any day you can have the baby it would be fine to go walking (not like 10 miles but in moderation) to induce labor but honestly the baby will come when it's ready inducing yourself can cause unnecessary stress which can cause compilations during labor, it's not worth it. and use common sense, inducing labor to have your baby before someone is stupid and putting your baby at risk for the dumbest reasons (some people ugh)
    AllysMommy2013

Answer by AllysMommy2013 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Yes it carries risks. Any medical procedure carries risks. A reputable doctor will NOT induce for no good, medically necessary, reason. Wanting to give birth before someone else is NOT a valid reason to induce.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2013