What is your opinion on Power Rangers?

My sister loved the Power Rangers when she was little and I remember having to watch it with her. I thought they were okay but I loved the Pink Ranger- Amy Jo Johnson. Anyways, at my son's preschool they are not allowed to wear PR shirts, to watch PR on their movie day, to play PR outside, or to bring any PR books there. The director is very anti-Power Rangers and I respect that. A few weeks ago I ordered a few books from the Scholastic Order Form that the teachers had passed out. I ordered my son a Power Rangers book amoung many other books. I picked the books up this morning and as I was walking out the door she saw the book and gave me a lecture about how evil the Power Rangers are and how they promoted violence. (I had to bite my tounge on this because both of her boys just got out of prision.) Anyways, I was wondering if you let your child(ren) watch Power Rangers or if you feel that it promotes violence?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am 100% Power Rangers fan - we have both movies and I have seen all the seasons (yeaaaaaaah nerds!).

Our DS and DD (3 and 6) watch them, with me. We talk about how they do the stunts, how they don't get hurt or dirty, and how fun it is to pretend. DS knows that TV is just pretend and I haven't worried yet about him trying to transform.

It's a shared family experience for us - it's what we do on early Saturday mornings. Then DH wakes up and stumbles in and starts to get silly asking about where the "pretty pony" PR and messing up the names of the bad guys.

Nerds................
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my daughter who is now seventeen watched it all the time when she was little she had power ranger clothes pillows dolls you name it and when she played with friends after they got done arguing about who was going to be what color power ranger lol they just jumped and around and you could here them say i will save you pink ranger it was soo funny and she is not a violent person for watching it it did not make her evil i think this lady is crazy lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• NOPE, They don't here, when they visit their Dad he lets them watch anything and everything.. So if you think your kids are protected from things because you don't let them, think of all the places they are when you aren't... I have asked him to not let them watch pg-13, PR, etc, but he lets them because he says it won't hurt them..... All I can do is what I think is right in our home... My boys don't attend daycare, preschool etc... I surely wouldn't trust someone that has kids of their own in prison with the care of my children.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• They're stupid. Not because of what they do, but because the acting is just SOOOOO bad! I don't see anything wrong with them, personally. My kids don't watch a lot of TV, so I honestly don't think they've ever actually seen an episode. I never watched it growing up, either. Even then the bad acting bothered me.
    It's a good way to get kids up and running around, since the characters are super-hero type deals, and all the kids I've seen playing it are chasing each other and playing hard, instead of sitting in front of a TV or computer all day.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 9:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Nope...not allowed here...especially for my preschoolers!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Uh, no! I watched He-Man, She-ra and all that mess when I was a kid. You know, the fighting and all. Gosh, I am the most gentle natured person. Some people are way too overbearing and overprotective when it comes to things like this. I am sorry to say this, and maybe I am wrong, but in my own opinion it seems as if her children ended up the way they did could possibly be because she shielded them from everything. Like I said, I could be wrong, but in situations I've witnessed with kids who are mega-sheltered and held back, as adults they just can't function normally. GO POWER RANGERS!! LOL!
    smizzell

Answer by smizzell at 10:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No I would not let my kids watch it. With that said though it was very out of line for the director to lecture you about your book choices. I think that is a bit over the top.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I freakin' love He-Man!!

I have him on DVD and we break that out every so often.

"I HAVE THE POOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWEEERRRRRR" - at the grocery store, someone who resembles me greatly may or may not say that as they hold up the divider stick at the check out lane.....
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Um not into Power Rangers and I don't allow it here b/c I have seen that it does affect my son. But I do allow the books, you know everything in moderation (and with sanity) cause there are ALOT of shows out there that are violent, which is why I do limit them but.......
    I bought the SHE-RA DVD with a whole bunch of the show (and He-Man -- it has the FIRST episode) and watch it with my kids.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009