A bunch of questions about moving

We already have the down payment and holding fee on our apartment paid for. Our move in day is nov 29th. When do I contact the new school?

Would you save up the money and buy everything you need for anew place (cleaners etc) once you move or hit the sales and deals now?

How soon should we start packing and organizing everything into boxes?

Is there any tips or tricks to get people to come help with the move? I thought bribing them with free food and drinks while carrying everything up to the 3rd floor.

When do you look for a new doctor/dentist? What about specialists?

What about vets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Travel

• I would enroll my kids on December 2nd, given a move in date of November 29th.

I would hold off on buying cleaning supplies til you're moved so you'll have less to pack, unless you're going to need them to clean the old place.

I would start packing by Halloween, although you can use this time between then and now to get rid of stuff you no longer want or need. Start packing by getting the stuff you won't need packed away first. With having 2 flights of steps, I'd ditch the idea of asking anyone to help and just hire movers, unless you can't afford it. Then food and drinks works well although you might need to sweeten the deal with a little cash.

Doctors and specialists can be taken care of after you're moved in, unless you have a chronic condition that needs treatment.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I would do all the contacting now. Call the School & ask what to do & what you need to enroll your child. Also while you are on the phone with them, ask what Pediatricians/Dentists they recommend in the area. If they work at a School then they have lived in the area for a while.
    I would buy things I'd need on sale now too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I would sell now as in huge garage sale anything you have not used for over a year, and then what the PP's said ^^^^^^
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Buy nothing new till you move in. You don't want to have to move it. Get rid of things now. And as you clear the clutter, start packing things that won't be needed before the move. A little at a time.

Check in with the schools now so you know what to expect. One less thing to worry about. The actual enrollment can be done once you're in, but if you need to gather medical records or documentation, you have time to do it on this end.

I'd also look into hiring movers. It might be less expensive and less hassle. Call around. If you absolutely can't do movers, then yes, food. If your friends are good ones they don't need the bribe but will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Doctors, dentists and specialists will be greatly dictated by your insurance plan. We just went with Banfield pet hospital for a vet and have been pleased.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• contact new school and buy cleaning stuff or whatever when you get there

now- start going through things and weeding out stuff you are done with or don't want/ need and get rid of it. Pack things you don't use much, then take all the pictures down- pack knick knacks... a week or so before the move start packing clothes, dishes...

there are guys you can hire for a few hours to help with the moving. COMPLETELY worth it. We rent a U-haul and hire guys to help for a couple hours to load and unload *you can find them throught the U-Haul site

look for new doctors when you get there ...or you can look now, if you know what your insurance will be

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2013