No job, no vehicle.

My Husband told our 17 yr old son that if he gets 1 more F on any assignments our son will have to quit his job, and he will sell  his vehicle.
(So far since the beginning of the school yr he's gotten an F in English III on a skit he did with another student, and an F on a quiz in anatomy).
His overall grades are: C in anatomy, C in English, B geometry, A in Auto tech, B in Auto tech math.
Do you think that's too harsh?

Sorry, I had to edit it because my Husband said he'll sell his vehicle, not just take it away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• tell hubby that you understand he wants him to do well- but it was a skit ad a quiz...not FINAL grades. no one (as far as college or jobs) cares what the little stuff ends up as...just the overall grade, so I don't really "get" why he is so worked up about it

is it an issue with maybe he had bad grades and doesn't want the same for your son? or he NEVER had a bad grade, therefore the son can't either? not sure what is up with that - you know?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Who paid for the vehicle?
    What does your son plan to do as a career? What kind of hours is he working at the job and what job is it?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Then yes it is too harsh.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Selling the car seems way over the top to me. Taking away the keys till your son's grades improve is one thing, but it sounds like that kid has really worked fixing up the car. Selling it, in my opinion, would do nothing but build resentment, and a lot of it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Not at all. If he wants something he has to earn and deserve it.

He should consider it an incentive to do well.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• If he plans on going to College, grades are everything right now.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• WAY too harsh. the grade he gets overall is what should matter and he is not failing any classes

also- the F he got on the skit was with another kid, so I don't think it's really fair to come down *too* hard for that one
    maybe he had an off day with anatomy?

maybe have him only work week-ends or less hours, but sell the car? SERIOUSLY? what happens when he goes to college? he''s gonna need it right?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Is there a way for him to earn extra credit? WHY did he get "F's" on those assignments? Were they late? Incomplete? I think selling the car is a bit too much. Taking away his driving privileges is more in line for someone who needs to work on their grades. Ten hours a week isn't much, but if he can't handle work & studies, then maybe he should quit. I would be more inclined to limit his social time since having work experience is important & will help him afford the upkeep on his car. Hubby needs to bend a little. You are the parent too so why not compromise?!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I c is still passing though it is not great. I would have him speak to his job about cutting his days/hours until he has a B average *if* that is what you know he is capable of. If he doesn't get it up then the job goes. School comes first.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• How about holding off on any decisions until the 1st semester is over?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2013