How does a 55 year old alcoholic, unemployed guy get $200. a month in food stamps?

This man lives in a friends basement in exchange for his $200 a month in food stamps. He has lived there this way for years.

Mary1953

Asked by Mary1953 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• He qualifies based on his income (or lack there of).
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Seems reasonable, I guess, if he has no other income whatsoever.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Why don't you ask him since it is obviously a concern you have.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• This man lives in a friends basement in exchange for his $200 a month in food stamps
    your friend is committing food stamp fraud by accepting them as payment
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I heard a blurb on the radio the other day that there was a bill introduced recently to end/limit food stamps to able bodied adults with no dependents. It's supposed to save an insane amount of money. I wouldn't have thought that many single adults with no kids were on them, but apparently they are.
    In the case you cite, I believe that qualifies for fraud since he isn't using the food stamps.

Answer by missanc at 6:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Because his lack of income makes him qualified. However exchanging his FS for rent is fraud and can come with hefty consequences.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Report it to your local dept of social services.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• The 55 year old man is a friend of my ex husband and the guy he lives with is the 55 year old guys friend not mine. He has been living this way for years! I have been searching the internet looking for a place to inform the food stamp office. I live in Texas and the offender lives in Va. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mary1953

Comment by Mary1953 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• He may be doing something wrong, but what does making him homeless or possibly having prison time for both men solve? We'd still be supporting him, only his care as a prisoner is more expensive. Yes there are flaws in the system, but many states require people like him to do some kind of work as a condition of receiving benefits. Maybe if he has a problem w/ alcohol he will be forced to get the help he needs. That would be the ideal outcome here.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• How long have you known about it?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2013