Why are there ONIONS growing everywhere in my backyard?

I got all prepared to go out and pull weeds today (some "supergrass" is growing everywhere) and after I pulled a few bunches of grass and looked at it.... They are onions!!

How the heck do I go from absolutely nothing growing to hundreds of onion bunches?!

We had a picnic after that. If onions are growing I want to eat them. No need to pull food.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I guess that the last people that lived there planted them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• They are technically scallions (tiny onions?!). They are a weed. We get them growing in the spring. They are from our neighbor. When he mows his lawn the onion smell could knock you out. I think you can eat them but I'm not 100% positive about that. My MIL buys them & chops them for salads & cooking.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• This is what ours look like (not my pic)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• They are wild onions. You can eat them, but we never did. We treated them as weeds.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• I wouldn't eat them this year because you don't know if the tenant before you sprayed anything in the yard. But if they come up again next year, you could give them a try. My parents used to have chives growing in their yard, and my mom put them on baked potatoes and in salads.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• But the supermarket produce sprayed shittons of shit on their shit.

So don't let them grow?!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• They may be wild onions, which grow (wild) in many areas of the country and they are good to eat. The seeds are born on the air and if birds eat them, yadda yadda. If you have them and do not pull them all tere will be more next year. Have fun.
    They are very good pickled.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• wild onions, we have them everywhere too, I just mow them with the rest of the grass
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 19, 2013