How to deal

Today my DD came home from school upset, this is not normal for her. So what's going I ask she relies "mom I don't wanna make a big deal about this but our hip hop dance is coming up and one of the moves is to shake my booty. This makes me very uncomfortable especially since the boys don't have to do this." So how do I deal with this kinda thing? The dance teacher is great but this could be a mistake on her part. Do I speak to her, the principle or the regular teacher. Is it a big deal, I don't know? oh by the way she is 9.

pinkparcel

Asked by pinkparcel at 8:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Ok, my answer I was going to give, under the assumption that this was a teen isn't going to fly.

My answer now: OH. HELL. NO!!! There is NO reason a 9 year old needs to be shaking her butt around. I would start with the teacher and see where you get with that. If s/he's no help, go to the principal.

If she were my child I'd tell her flat out that if she's uncomfortable doing that particular move, then doesn't have to do it. And, GOOD FOR YOU for having such a great relationship with her that she's ok coming to you with something like this.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• That's pretty ridiculous that they would have young kids doing that. I would explain to the teacher how your daughter feels. Maybe she isn't the only one feeling that way, and she is just the only one that said anything.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Talk to the teacher about her feeling uncomfortable with it, and hopefully that move will be changed.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Well to be honest hip hop is sassy and you see plenty of dancers shake their butt they pop their butt as well. . You might be able to get her to do something else while the other kids still do the move or change it all together and boys do pop their but in hip hop as well maybe just not in this dance. If she doesn't like it find a different dance style like ballet, contemporary, jazz, b boy because at some point she'll have to do those moves if she's going to stick with it.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• If it's just a quick move in a song, maybe you could have your daughter kind of miss a step and skip it. Talk to the teacher. If it's a lot of butt shaking through the whole song, she might need to sit that one out. Regardless, I wouldn't force her if she's not feeling comfortable.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Thank you for your replies of course I will talk to her teacher and see where she stands with it. The whole school participates in the Hip Hop performance every year, but this year is the first of the booty shake epidemic lol

pinkparcel

Comment by pinkparcel (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2013