how much should A 4 year old drink per day?

My son use to drink alot of water and watered down juice, because i don't like my son drinking just straight juice. But lately he has been drinking like one cup a day and he use to drink like 4 cups a day of what ever i give him!!! And he use to eat alot and the last couple of months he hasnt been eating all that great!! but doc said they will go thru that stage but he is always going thru that stage, but his doc said he is one healthy kid :)

kimberly198809

Asked by kimberly198809 at 3:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am guessing he drinksmore than you realize. If your doctor says he is healthy, leave him alone on the amount he eats. Just be mindful of the quality.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Don't forget people eat their liquids as well. For instance oranges, lettuce and cucumbers are very high in water content. The other thing to consider is that the novelty of using a cup and drinking something besides milk has completely worn off at this point. Now he is only drinking when thirsty and not just for 'fun'. He may be eating less because he was recently in a growth spurt that has settled down for a while. Just keep offering what you are offering and let it go. If the doctor says he is healthy then there is not a problem!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Growth spurt comes to mind. I know I need to find bigger clothes when my kids starting eating everything in sight and are never full. They'll eat and eat and eat so that they get a little chunky. Then, almost overnight, their appetite disappears and they start to shoot up.

My daughter is 6.5 and can almost wear size 7. They're about an inch too long in the leg, and about 4 inches too big in the waist. But, the size 6's she's been wearing all summer are too small.

My son is almost 10 and wears a size 12. Again, just a hair too long in the legs, and way to big in the waist, but the 10's are too small. He also wears a bigger shoe size than I do......as of a few weeks ago when we went and bought him new shoes for school.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• He'll drink when he's thirsty.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• If the doc thinks he's healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. He'll drink when he's thirsty. Remind him if he's been out in the heat, if he's sick, or if he's running around a lot. But don't push the issue if there's no reason to. The worst thing you can do is make a battle out of eating and drinking.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I'd check with doctor
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 6:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2014