I have to leave my family for an undetermined amount of time.

My mother has been diagnosed with cancer and is having surgery. She's 9 hours away, and I need to go. Obviously I can't take the kids, they are in school and it's not logistically possible. I may be gone a week or a month. I just don't know.

My SO can't cook, so I need meals I can Pre cook and freeze for them. I need to organize things as best as possible. Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone else go through something similar and has advice on the best way to prepare my family?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 9:15 AM on Sep. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• Teach him how to use a slow cooker and pre-make the meals in gallon sized freezer bags. Lasagna and meatloaf are also good freezer meals.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Do you have any friends or family that you can ask to help. When I had my 2nd dd my friends arranged to make a meal a night for me for the first week. Maybe you can do this a few times while you are gone. I've never frozen meals but the Internet has ton of frozen crock pot meals you can prepare before you of and freeze them.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:24 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• hugs I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope everything turns out OK.  She's lucky to have a devoted child who will be by her side in her time of need.  As for S/O & the kids, can he BBQ?  Does he have a mom, aunt or sister nearby who can help out?  I'm no Rachel Ray in the kitchen, so I can't think of anything more to add to what JeremysMom said.  I'm sure they will be fine.  Keep some Chef Boyardee & soups on hand for a quick, easy meal.  Please keep us posted on your mom too.  Take care.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I am so sorry about your mom. That's really the scariest thing about cancer, I think. Not that it can kill you but that you don't know from one day to the next what will happen.

Meals... lasagna, chili, beef stew all freeze well. And my dad used to say "if you can read you can cook." Spaghetti is crazy easy and he can just use a jar sauce (we like Newman's Own). Foods don't have to be fancy or difficult. One of our favorite fast comfort foods is Italian sausage and potatoes made with onions. Slice it all up into one inch chunks, dump into a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, stick into a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes. I don't know if it freezes well because I never have leftovers to try!

He can also pick up a rotisserie chicken or two from the grocery store.

Treat this as an opportunity for him to grow, because if something happens to you he needs to function.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I'm sorry about your mom.

You've received a lot of good information regarding food but I wanted to touch on your time with her. I work closely with our cancer center and I would suggest that you take this one event at a time. Depending on the type of surgery she's having it may be that a week is a good visit time initially. Once they determine the results from the surgery you can make more definite plans. Cancer is emotionally insidious and the best thing you can do for everyone is have a game plan in place. I'd say that in 90% of our cases a treatment plan is put into place and it's pretty accurate. You'll know when she's going for chemo and/or radiation, what to expect, etc.

So, I guess my point is that you won't be fluttering in the breeze waiting for things to happen. You'll likely be able to work out a travel plan based on what they determine her treatment will be.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• hugs

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Is this code for I can finally escape my jerk wad mate?

If its not sorry about your mom, but I would just go for surgery and feel it put from there.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I'm so sorry about your mom. My dad just passed in may after a month of illness with pancreatic cancer. It is all consuming I'm afraid to say. I didn't do anything to prepare my family-every single day was a crap shoot-ipad no clue what the day would bring.
    I hope it's not as serious as it was with my dad. But my heart goes out to you. Cancer is a thief of time and loved ones.

As far as meals.....you could make some pizzas and freeze them. Baked ziti, and even chicken cutlets breaded and cooked and then frozen. He can throw some fried in the oven and heat up the chicken, like chicken tenders.

I left my family for a month to live with my dad but was still in the same town. I lost all sight of what my dh did with my kids. All I knew is they were home and being fed-even if that meant fruity pepples every day I just didn't care. That's how consuming cancer can be. I didn't even care if they went to school. HUGS!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• First, I am sorry your Mom is sick and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Next. Hit Up Pinterest! Here this woman prepares 34 meals in two hours that she puts in the freezer and then in the mornings she pops them in the crock pot.Your hubby can't go wrong with pulling a dinner out of te freezer and sticking it in the crockpot, unless he forgets to turn it on. Here   are 10 freezer meals, you just write instructions right on the package.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:58 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I'm so sorry for what your mother is going through.

As for the cooking, I agree that giving some slow cooker recipes will be really helpful for him. I don't use the crock pot very offen, but if I worked I would probably utilize it way more. I would google three, four and five ingredient recipes for him to follow, which will make shopping less taxing for him as well. I'm going to check out the other freezer ideas that were posted here. You have already gotten a lot of helpful answers. I'm sorry I'm not very helpful to day. :o(
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:25 AM on Sep. 19, 2013