Ideas for kids lunch at school

I am making my kids take there lunch for a while, getting caught up with bills after the furlough. They have been taking it for a couple weeks, it will be at least 2 more. They are so tired of sandwiches. Any cheap, and different ideas, to help them make it through. Thanks ladies.

RelaxedMom2-3

Asked by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 19, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Do they have a microwave at school?
    You could make salads, or wraps for them, but it is hard to come up with something other than sandwiches, you could get a thermos and make soup for them.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• They don't have a microwave. That's why it's so hard to think of other things besides sandwiches. I have three and really don't want to buy three thermoses for just a short period of time. I think I will try the wraps though. Thanks....
    RelaxedMom2-3

Comment by RelaxedMom2-3 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• 1492 PAGES of lunch box ideas

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:32 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• sent too soon. you could put a Lot of things in a thermos to keep warm. In the morning put boiling water in the thermos to get it hot, then if its something like a hot dog you dump the water out and put just the hot dog in it and it will stay warm until lunch. Theres always soup, and whatever you had for dinner last night as left overs even.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• My boys liked peanut butter and jelly tortilla roll-ups...or with lunchmeat and cheese. I made them wraps with leftover chicken or dinner meats, we made our own 'lunchables' with the lunchmeat and cheese cut up and crackers for them to use. Pita sandwiches filled with salad and meat worked. Any leftovers that could be put in a thermos container, or that they liked cold...such as pizza went to school. Pasta salad with leftover chicken, taco salad with chicken, or leftover beef, chinese chicken salad. It really depends on the ages of the kids too. I know it's still sandwiches, but my boys loved meatloaf sandwiches, or sandwiches from leftover pork or roast beef, and the roasts tend to be cheaper than lunchmeat.

Hummus with pita to dip in it is healthy and more fun than a sandwich. Chicken fingers with bbq sauce or ranch to dip. Mine would eat them cold.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2013

• What about cheese cubes and rolls of lunch meat? Cheese and crackers might work as well, or yogurt if you have cold paks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I was going to say Ballad's suggestion.Mine don't like school lunches so we always said.They are teens but find cheese cubes ,meat sliced and crackers completely different than a sandwich.I also make calzones with bought pizza dough and what ever fillings they want.Calzones are good cold.I will bake several including breakfast filled ones ,send some for lunch and a quick re-heat for breakfast.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• cook up some chicken and give them cold chicken pieces with cheese...my kids love that. or maybe pepperorni sandwiches. you could also make use pizza toppings on just about any bread so long as you melt the cheese before school.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• My son eats a hard boiled egg with some cheese sticks and snacks everyday! I'm stumped, he's so picky.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• sticks/skewers from dollar store. hunks of cheese, meat, cherry tomatoes, etc

also a container of peanut butter and a variety of things to dip. pretzels, banana, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2013