Stoppping breastfeeding?

How old do you think the baby should be? How much milk do you give them in a sippy cup, how often, I am so lost...

MsMESSx2

Asked by MsMESSx2 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I plan on letting DD self wean. Breastfeeding should happen as long as the child and mother still want it. I give DD milk with cereal every couple days, and milk with dinner sometimes (between 1 and 2, a child needs to nurse a minimum of 3 times daily and supplementation of whole milk is not needed). The rest of the time I give her water, and occasionally home made juice.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No younger than 1.. the AAP recommends a 1 year min and I agree with that. Younger then one either means using formula or a premature introduction to cows milk.

There isn't a set age to wean. Do you want to wean? I nursed for 21 months and it wasn't bad at all. I miss nursing a bit lol. She self weaned.

I am not sure how much milk is needed because we do not do cows milk as a beverage in this house. She gets it with cereal and eats dairy products we just don't do cows milk as a drink.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• How old do I think they should be? Personally, I allow my children to self wean, which means that they stop when THEY are ready. My son is 18 mos and still nursing.

How much to give in a sippy? Well I guess that depends on how old they are, whether or not they are getting formula, or other liquids, and food.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• 2 is recommended by WHO. I believe in self weaning. I never pumped & put it in a cup, although my baby could use one at 7 months. He would nurse & get juice or water in a cup-whole milk when he was older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• At least 2 but self weaning is what I believe in. My son is 23 months and I don't put breastmilk in a cup, he still gets it straight from the tap. He does get juice and water in his cup though.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• at minimum, one year of breastfeeding! two years is preferable. i believe in child-led weaning. we will stop whenever dd wants to. 18-24 months is the average age that babies wean themselves. as far as how much milk to give, it depends on how old and what else baby is getting.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I believe as long as the MOM is wanting to breast feed is how long it should go. If a mom does not want to nurse after 6 months then she should stop. If she wants to go longer great!

When you stop just feed your child cow's milk (assuming they are at least 1) at times you would normally nurse. I would just start by filling up a sippy cup and seeing how much your LO drinks for a couple days then just fill the sippy cup to how much they were drinking. Good Luck =)
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• we are self weaning, but you should go to atleast a year.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2009