Talking to the Kindergartners

Thanks to all of you for your good ideas about my chat with the kindergarten class. Ballad and I went over to the school this morning. I told them some about how Ballad helps me, showed them my white cane and a braille book, said a little about cooking and the way I pay attention to my other senses because I can't see. I'll tell you what, your own kid keeps you honest. I explained that I usually know by smell when food is done cooking, and my daughter piped up with, "Well, yeah, except sometimes you let it get burnt." The teacher laughed and said she'd burned food now and then, too. Then my daughter bugged me to tell the story of when she'd asked for sprinkles on her ice cream and I accidentally poured on dried garlic flakes instead. So I said that was one time when I should have checked the smell of what I was using and didn't. Two little boys raised their hands and said, "Lady, your dog's really fat." She's not, so I'm not sure where that came from, but the teacher got her panties in a bunch over that and said she'd be having a talk with those kids later. Seemed strange to me, I thought it was funny myself. Then the kids wanted to tell me about their dogs at home, their names and how big they were, so that was kind of the end of the hard news. I got a list of their names, so I'm going to make each of them a braille card and send it in later; I didn't have time before today. It was hard to leave because my daughter wanted to come home with me instead of staying at school. The teacher said to just make it clean and quick, say my goodbye and go, so I hope the rest of the day has gone well.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Glad to hear it went so well. I bet your daughter was just fine after you left. Kids are GREAT at pushing just the right buttons to make us feel guilty as hell.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Out of the mouths of babes!
    You're always going to get a kid or 2 that totally misses the point,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Sounds like it was a good and informative time. I'm sure the kids enjoyed hearing about your experience.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Glad to hear it went so well.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Good for you! I hope you had a lot of fun. Until the goodbyes, of course.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• LOL. Some people's kids.... Didn't their parents tell them if they can't say something nice, to not say anything at all?!?!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2013